Spring Gobbler Season

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedneckWoman, Mar 5, 2005.

1. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Spring gobbler season will be opening here next month and my dh is already talking about the monster he is going to bag this year. We raise our own turkeys but who doesn't like a free one now and then. That is also the only time I can get dh in the woods, he says it is too cold to hunt any other time lol. I have way too many projects going on to go this year :( .

Anyone else hunting this Spring?

2. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

I will be. I have been having hunting withdrawls. I think I have watched every hunting video made 5 times each. I personally cant wait for deer season, I have eatan almost 2 deer singlehandedly already.

JAKE

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Legal Season don't open here until April 18,but heard someone shooting them by the house today at 7:30 this morning.

big rockpile

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I don't hunt gobblers, but thought I would mention this Ontario story about the Wild Turkey restoration.
    In the early 80's the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources after studies of the potential turkey restocking could be successful as the Wild Turkey was around in early days. Though they can't survive in the harsh winters of my area, the success of the wild turkey is phenomenal in Southern and Eastern Ontario townships where there is a viable spring gobbler hunting season over the past 10 years or so.
    The Wild Turkey stock came from Missouri to transplant and restore the populations in Ontario. In exchange, I believe some pine marten fur stock went to Missouri, though I am not aware of the success of them popullating there.
    They now are restoring some Elk populations in this area from Alberta wild stock. It's taking off gradually, but nothing like the turkey regeneration in the eastern parts of Ontario. I think it's simply amazing.

5. RedneckWoman

Jake, I try to avoid the huntin videos because it just makes my withdrawl worse lol. We go through about six or seven deer a year and usually two wild turkeys. Our limits are pretty low anyway.

Hey, Rockpile, your place sounds a lot like it is around here. I joke every once in a while (only with people I know that know better) saying we have open season year round here on turkey and deer but the season really runs from x to x. Someone (none of us) is always shooting something around here out of season.

6. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We had a flock of 25-30 turkeys meandering around our backyard last week.

Yup---I got the FEVER!

7. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I have to pick up a permit when they become available. I'm not exactly sure how our system works. I pay 4 bucks for an "application" to be put in the lottery. Every year I do this and every year I get turned down because the permits are full for my area. But, with that rejection notice, I get a note saying that on a set day, I can walk in to any license dealer...show them my rejection slip...and purchase a "guaranteed hunt" permit for the same area and time I get denied. :no:

There is a flock of about 250-300 by my mom's house. She says the best place to hunt this year will be sitting on the front porch swing.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Spent the afternoon patterning my shotgun with different loads until my shoulder was bruised and numb. What does that tell you.

9. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Haven't heard any Toms yet but see them regularly. Here in Iowa I pay a dollar for a landowner permit. I already know 2 good roosting spots here on the property.

10. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

DH will be hunting this spring. His name was drawn. His hunt starts April 18th-May 31st. Here in Michigan we pay $4.00 for the application and if your name is drawn to hunt you need to purchase a license which costs $14.00 to hunt. This is only his second year of turkey hunting. No luck last year.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We don't have to buy Permits to hunt on our property.I had about a dozen Toms behind the house yesterday.

We can take 4.

big rockpile

12. RedneckWoman

We don't have to buy anything here either as long as we stay on our property. If we were to go somewhere else and hunt though all we have to buy is a regular hunting license and a stamp. You're lucky, Rockpile, we can only get two per season here.