spreading amendments

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by t4lenza, Jun 29, 2006.

1. t4lenza

t4lenza Member

Hi, I am new. My dh and I are starting an organic farm. We are preparing the soil by spreading amendments, bone meal, blood meal and rock powders. We are, as my husband would say "feeling very challenged" at the moment. For the last three days, we have been loading a large cone shaped spreader, and while my husband drives the tractor, I stand on the back and "stir" to keep the product from coning in the middle. We both wear resperator masks and must be a sight to behold. So our big question is, are we just idiots? Or is this the best way to do it? The density of all the materials is differnt so we are spreading them one at a time and it is taking forever. Anyway if anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate the feed back. Farming is new to us also. I may also be on the wrong topic but it seemed like a good place to start. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Toby

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know much about spreading such things mechanically, but I am wondering how much area you're covering, and why you are using those particular amendments. Did your soil test indicate what/how much you need to add?

BTW: Welcome to HT! :)

Pony!

3. t4lenza

t4lenza Member

Hi Pony,

Thanks for the interest. Yes, we have had tests done. We are covering about 6 acres. Some for growing vegetables and some for growing hay. We are spreading anywhere frome 400 to two tons per acre. The spreader holds a max of 400 lbs. and can shoot about 15ft to each side depending on the product. Unfortunatly most everything we are spreading is such a fine powder that it only shoots about 4 ft on each side. This means we have to drive in tighter rows and make more passes on the fields which compacts the soil. If thats the way it has to be, then okay but I sure wish i knew for sure. I suppose next year we will have alot more confidence. thanks toby

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

They make larger trailer type spreaders, but that's dollars you can avoid spending by doing what you are doing. Most people hire a commercial opperator to spread ag lime. However to fluctuate the amounts per acre you are applying might not be possible with many of them. What's the possibility of rigging an agitator able to keep the ammendments knocked down in the spreader hopper?

5. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

Hi, wish you could find a "gandy" spreader. would be a lot easer to load and it spreades close to the ground. Google gandy fertilizer spreader, you see what I mean.
    Sandie OR 5/6