Spraying Fruit Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wannabee, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I read a post about a month or two months ago - someone sprayed the tree once at the start of spring with something, and that was ALL they did. Does anyone recall that post or what the chemical was????

Thanks!!

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

dormant oil, probably. You can get it at most any farm store, nursery, etc.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yes, dormant oil, but you must use it before the tree buds or blooms. here in the humid southeast i also use a copper fungicide from gardens alive. those two things are the only "chemicals" i use on them.

4. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Wannabee;
    The true dormant oil is a fairly heavy oil mix with detergent and can only be put on before buds burst. It kills insect eggs and the little scale mites that feed on the bark and buds.

HOWEVER; there is an oil spray on the market now that can be applied at any time of the year. It is a much lighter oil and you use less of it. Look it up if interested.

If you have peach and plum and related trees you will also need to treat for bark borers in early spring and summer. I am not organic, so I use an insecticide with a long residual.
    Ox

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I think the poster you were thinking of was me. :)

I use dormant oil mixed with copper and lime sulfer (bordeaux mixture) to smother insect eggs and help with fungal problems. You have to use this before the trees have started to leaf out - it will severely burn the leaves.

6. Cray

Cray Member

I used Neem oil on my apple trees last year. It did help with the insects but I did not know that I was supposed to spray it before the tree leafed out. The leaves turned a bit brown and I didn't get many apples. I was ready to swear off Neem oil forever but it appears that my problems could have been in the application. Next time I will do a little more research.