Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

im closing on a property at the end of the month and will be doing some work on it before I move in.
During inspections, I went up to the attic just to check out the insulation and found that it was lacking. I wanted to clear out the existing insulation and spray the roof deck myself.

I just have a few questions I’m hoping someone on here can help out.

1. Which would be better in this situation; open cell or closed cell?

2. I am also going to coat the roof with blackjack eterna-kote to add more protection from the rain.Has anyone used this product before?

below are a couple of pictures I snapped while up in the attic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Brown Wood Beam Building material Composite material

Wood Beam Ceiling Space Event

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you spray any thin in the attic it is the under side of the roof ?
But I think roll insulation is good stuff .
The foam guys wanted 12000 bucks to spray my place and that was just 2” thick on the walls and 4” on the roof and then I still had to add rolled 31/3 to the walls and r21 roll on the roof
I did my hole place with r30 roll @ 9 bucks a roll I bought 130 rolls for about 1200 bucks .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had good luck with closed cell foam.
do you have a metal roof as well? Do you have to add any kind of ventilation in the attic space?

I would just flatten the insulation
Then clear the eves out so the roof will vent .
Then roll 24” wide r30 across the beams and push it tight .
We do this all the time .
Spraying the ceiling is not done often
I was thinking of going that route as well. I was just doing some research and the benefits of closed cell spray foam sounds good. Plus added storage space we have up there from clearing out the insulation's would be great cause my wife has a bunch of junk lol
If you spray any thin in the attic it is the under side of the roof ?
But I think roll insulation is good stuff .
The foam guys wanted 12000 bucks to spray my place and that was just 2” thick on the walls and 4” on the roof and then I still had to add rolled 31/3 to the walls and r21 roll on the roof
I did my hole place with r30 roll @ 9 bucks a roll I bought 130 rolls for about 1200 bucks .
yes, I would be spraying the underside of the roof. I’ll be doing the work myself cause I already know everything is insanely priced nowadays.

i checked Home Depot and it’s about $34 a roll of r30. I think the material cost might be the same give or take a few hundred bucks.

I still need to get in there and see the sqft of the place. So idk what I’m going to do yet. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it

thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The problem with spraying the under side of the roof is you are heating extra space and in that case you don’t vent the attic .
There are a lot of problem with the spray foam not curing and. Giving off a Chemical odor in the house .
It has to do with temp, humidity and the speed it’s aplyed
Storing stuff in the attic always ends up with cracked ceilings .
I’m a builder and I won’t spray foam on one of my jobs

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
do you have a metal roof as well? Do you have to add any kind of ventilation in the attic space?
The outside of my house is entirely metal, and I sprayed closed cell foam on the inside. It stopped all of the condensation, and nearly sound proofed the building. I left an open space at each end of the peak of the roof, for ventilation.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I used spray foam on a dome I built in 77. Worked great for a lot of yrs. Built a chicken house last yr. tin on inside. foamed over that and then put siding on. I like foam, although expensive, because it seals all air leaks. You can DIY it a lot cheaper. Just remember it does NOT come off clothing or glasses easy. Unless you have glass lens glasses then fingernail polish remover will take it off. Wear a plastic hair net.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Just remember it does NOT come off clothing or glasses easy. Unless you have glass lens glasses then fingernail polish remover will take it off. Wear a plastic hair net.
I have an old pair of coveralls that I use just for painting, and I wear an old pair of glasses with safety glasses over top.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Also remember you need a spray coating for it if you spray it on the outside of something as it is UV degradable. I have spray directly on a tin roof on the inside of a storage shed about 14 yrs ago and it still looks good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok
The problem with spraying the under side of the roof is you are heating extra space and in that case you don’t vent the attic .
There are a lot of problem with the spray foam not curing and. Giving off a Chemical odor in the house .
It has to do with temp, humidity and the speed it’s aplyed
Storing stuff in the attic always ends up with cracked ceilings .
I’m a builder and I won’t spray foam on one of my jobs
Ive read that the its has to be within certain temp parameters to be sprayed correctly. I'm thinking of going with tiger foam, so I'll be calling their customer service to get the correct spraying instructions. I don't plan to store a bunch of things up there, just christmas decor and other seasonal junk my wife has.

I used spray foam on a dome I built in 77. Worked great for a lot of yrs. Built a chicken house last yr. tin on inside. foamed over that and then put siding on. I like foam, although expensive, because it seals all air leaks. You can DIY it a lot cheaper. Just remember it does NOT come off clothing or glasses easy. Unless you have glass lens glasses then fingernail polish remover will take it off. Wear a plastic hair net.
I'm planning on doing it myself. I was having a house built before we found this property and the builder quoted me $15k just to spray the garage. I thought she was out of her mind when she told me.

Also remember you need a spray coating for it if you spray it on the outside of something as it is UV degradable. I have spray directly on a tin roof on the inside of a storage shed about 14 yrs ago and it still looks good.
It will be under the roof(interior of the house). Also going to be putting a coat or two of elastomeric paint on the exterior. Hoping between the two, itll help prevent any roof leaks and help keep the temp in the house semi constant

·
Registered
331 Posts
Our current project used closed cell foam. The roof design lent itself to spray foam as the ceiling follows the roof throughout so there is limited space. The Amish folks who did the dry in and finished the roof brought in a relative (of course) who did the foaming. I couldn't be more impressed with the efficiency. The whole ceiling/roof system is like a sealed glove and somewhere above R30. But it was designed that way.

But with a re-do its completely different. And my gosh, $12k?!? I think for you that roll in is the hot set up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts