Spots on tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Jul 26, 2004.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

What causes hard white spots under the skin on tomatoes?I assume its a blight of some sort, they have rotten spots to.My garden this year has been a total disaster.Mary

2. I've got the same thing Mary. Here in Knoxville we had super dry weather followed by a few weeks of rain, rain, rain!!

Tim
    Knoxville, TN

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Do you think they were hit with hail? We've had rather a lot this year. It can make scars on the tomatoes and other fruit. Sounds like you have some mold problems as well. You can get that after hail damage too. Also sun scald from damaged leaves.

4. bearneg

bearneg New Member

I have the problem. It is caused stink bugs.

5. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

6. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope, no hail not stink bugs.Its on the inside the skin is smooth and blemish free.I thought it could be the type of tomato,I planted Itialia instead of Romas this year.But I have this on all tomatoes every year.we have had lots of rain only 2 or 3 days a week if we are lucky it dont rain.

7. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Stink bug damage IS on the inside and under the skin! They don't take a chunk out of the tomato. Instead, they pierce the skin just like a mosquito would do to a person. What you are seeing are the results of the tomato reacting to the digestive saliva entered by the bug. It's similar to how we react to mosquitoes.

Martin

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes, hail damage would be to the outside.
    To check for stink bugs put a board on the ground and early in the am turn it over. You might have to do it several days.