Spot on goat nostril???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

OK. Tell me what this is. On one of my does (KK Cou Blanc) has a spot on the left side (outside edge) of her left nostrile that looks like it is "freezer burnt"? It is gray and cracked looking. It hasn't been cold enough here in Texas for her to be frost bit. She isn't sick, no runny nose....She is fine, but for this ugly spot about the size of a dime on her nose.

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Could it be ORF ?

Soremouth, also called scabby mouth, or by it's clinical name, Contagious Ecthyma is characterized by a sudden appearance of lesions, usually around the mouth area such as the lips or gums. It can also appear (or be spread) on the face, ears, coronary bands, scrotum, teats, vulva, neck, chest and flank. It is a herpes-linked organism that likes a copper-deficient host and is very contagious for goats at risk through copper deficiency. Vaccines are available but it should be pointed out that it introduces the virus into the herd. Certain remedies such as creams are available to aid in lessening the pain involved with the scabbing this virus causes. The soremouth virus may infect humans. Care should be taken when handling goats who have soremouth.

There are many articles on Goatworld if you search ORF.
    http://www.goatworld.com/

My two does had it and it ran its course in about 14 days. They showed no other signs of being sick. I was real careful to wash my hands after feeding or handling them as it can be passed to humans.

The organism which is present in the scab can live in the ground for a long time, so I sprayed a bleach/water solution throughout their yard, and totally cleaned their pen to minimize it being taken to rest of the grounds on the shoes.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

How does this look now?? Could be she just scraped it somehow and this is healing now. If more spots come up then look at soremouth or ringworm?