Sport socks ... where?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SFM in KY, Oct 16, 2004.

1. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

Not really a homestead topic but don't know where else to put it. I need to find a source of good, extra thick 100% cotton socks in small sizes.

I used to get them at one of the ranch stores in Montana. They were hunter/hiking type socks and I think they were actually made for older kids, but they were extra thick on the foot, the tops stayed up and they wore like iron.

Haven't found them at all since I moved to Kentucky ... the few I've found were in sporting goods stores but they are men's sizes and not any small sizes and I haven't found anyone who can or will special order them.

I've tried the usual WalMart/KMart store socks and they're impossible ... not thick enough, one washing and the tops slide down (especially in rubber boots) and wear out in a couple of months.

I also tried Cabella's and L L Bean catalogs. They don't have them ...

Any suggestions?

2. soaring

soaring Member

I wear the hunting socks, and get them at Wal*Mart. But, don't look in the sock dept... they keep them in Sporting Goods by the hunting gear. I get the super soft ones, 'cause comfort is paramount.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I just got some extra thick socks for my boys at Walmart. I don't know the name of them, but they had "work socks" wrote on the front of the package. They look like crew socks but are gray and are extra thick on the foot part. The package said that they are good for wearing with steel toed boots. They are all cotton.

Now if I can find wool socks for dh, to wear with steel toed boots without going broke, I'd be a happy camper. I found some 2 years ago in a bag called "Big bag of socks", lol, but can't find them anymore. I refuse to pay $8 for a pair of wool socks! These are the only one's that last. Tube socks, and heavier cotton socks only last a day with steel toed boots, so he needs the heavy wool ones.

Deb

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

A little thing i figured out a while back was bleach will eat up the rubber/elastic used in most shocks. If your using it on them good luck! One heavy bleaching will do it first time! ;) It also seems to make them thin sooner.Defiantly rots them out quicker.Bottom line is id rather have dirty shocks then warn out.I save back a few clean pair for times that matter.

I gave up on over the calf socks a good while back.Best change i ever made.Never liked crew cut they never stayed up in first place.We all where ankle cut shocks now! Yep even with cowboy boots ,after you get used to the feel you'll never notice. Much cooler in summer! Haynes seems to be best cost/and most durable to me.And Walamrt has all sizes of them stocked.Notice the red color name on the toes for men, pink for girls makes them easer to sort out after laundering.Especially for a family of four. ;)

Do like i used to do when looking for shocks tear the darn bags open in the store to actually have a look at the quality of the shocks.I usually don't do this with other products but im not paying for something i don't like when i get them home.

5. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

There is a sox and glove manufacturer in Osage, Iowa. It think it is Fox River. Try a search and see what you come up with...klh

6. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

Depends how small you want them. Wigwam is the only brand I know of that has thick 100% cotton socks but only in adult sizes. They are sold at

http://www.allsportsocks.com/cottonsocks.html

and also at

http://www.rwss.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=F1060&Category_Code=WIGWAM

My dh and I wear these and they've lasted a long time. Buster Brown is the only brand of 100% cotton kids socks, which are sadly much thinner. I buy them from

http://www.bargainmonkey.com/proddtl/PId/1218119/

or

http://www.chockcatalog.com/item-buster_brown_anklets_2_pack-263.htm

From what I've seen, all the stores like Walmart and Kmart only carry thin cotton socks if any. I think I need to learn to knit.

7. SFM in KY

Had not even thought about checking the sporting goods section of WalMart ... I will try that the next trip into town.

Mommalee ... I bookmarked the cotton socks link ... they do make a small woman's size (4 - 7) which will work for me ... I see they are closed until Nov 14th but if I can't find them anywhere locally I will order some and see if they will work.

Unfortunately, I can't wear anything that has any wool in it at all next to my skin, I'm very allergic to it. I even notice that some synthetics aren't too good either, so try to keep the first layer of clothing all cotton if I can.

I don't bleach anything anyway ... another allergic thing for me. And I normally wash everything in cold water as well, even the whites. They may not look quite as "white and bright" but they do get clean and they sure last longer.

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I like LL Bean's socks. Good luck with your search..foot comfort is really important!

LQ

9. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

SFM, anyplace that sells western boots, sells boot socks. They aren't cheap but they are wonderful. They are heavier in the toe and heel so they tend to last longer and they're comfortable. They do have womens sizes. I would love it if someone could tell me what's up with womens socks, used to be that it possible to find size 5-9 and now everything is size 9-11.

10. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

If you are allergic to wool, you might try silk socks next to the skin and heavier socks over them. I used the combination with hiking boots and never had a blister! There used to be something called Ragg socks that were very heavy duty. The Vermont Country Store carries all kinds of "old fashioned" stuff. They might have what you want. I now wear some cotton sport socks with heavy duty soles that I get from Costco. They come with ankle length tops as well as calf length and seem to do a good job staying up. They also work well with the rubber garden shoes.

Sandi

11. SFM in KY

The Ragg socks were what I used to always wear. I got them for awhile at a sporting goods/hiking/climbers equipment store in Montana ... then got them through mail order, I think from L L Bean ... but they no longer carry them.

The only place I've found the cotton Ragg socks this time was Land's End and they don't carry my size ... they used to come in a small that was for shoe size 4 to 7 I think it was. Now they start at medium ... shoe size 6 1/2 to 10 ...

I also thought they were expensive at $6.00 a pair ... they are now $16.00 at Land's End!!!!

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Campmor.com and sierratradingpost.com has a large variety of socks, including silk, cotton, wool, coolmax, etc. They almost always have socks in smaller women's sizes. Yes, some are pricey, but the quality has always been high. I bought some Irish wool socks for my nieces and they fought over them in cold weather so I had to get some more. I am certain you could find what you are looking for in cotton or cotton/poly/silk blends.

Personally, I am lucky enough to have a discount store that carries WigWam, Fox River, and other brands for $4 and less. I can get some real deals on the wool socks we love for $2 if I am paying attention.

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I bought the 65% Merino wool ones at Big 5 sporting goods.Those socks really last,are warm,stay tight,about 6-7 dollars a pair,but last so well i feel they are certainly price comparable to cheap socks that dont last.Its a luxury I will not do without.
    BooBoo