Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten Spore as of yet? If so, what do you think?
We are thinking about it and have been for quite awhile. I watched the hour long Discovery Channel show about it and it looks intriguing.
We are not hard gamers, so I don't think any of the things that have the gamers unhappy will affect us.
We are thinking of it more along the lines of a family game. DS really wants to build a creature etc.. and I think if taken on a light level it could be fun.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
It's quite simple to use/play....but provides hours of entertainment. You start off as a single celled organism and make decisions about herbivore/omni/carnivore. you watch it grow, you guide it around like a PacMan game to eat stuff and not get eaten.

then you evolve and add more things. make more decisions. The animation is superb. The fun, for me, is watching the critter move around and interact. You can be aggressive or passive. Make friends or declare war. It's an interesting way to show how your decisions will impact you YEARS later (or in this case, eons)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
We got the creature creator for our kids..they absolutely loved it. But...when the game came out as a single player only we were very disappointed. The idea is very novel and the creativity it inspires is awesome.
It is not designed to be a family game as you'd have to purchase a copy for each person ....

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aaah. The Creature Creator! Is that interesting in it's own right? I was wondering about that. DS is only 5 and the creatures are what drive him wild with desire, of course.
And as far as the "family" playing.. it would be DS and one of us sitting around and doing it as "one" person, so that part doesn't bother us.
Maybe I'll get the Creature one for his birthday in a few weeks... Who's the world's best mom??? Me!! At least for a day!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Creature Creator can be downloaded for free from their website. I paid $10 for the disk before I found out it was free. Also, I use Vista and for the longest time I couldn't find the program after it installed and here I am, an experienced tech. Turns out the folder into which it installs is in the "Games" folder on the right hand side of the start menu. IMO it should be fine for a five y/o. My older kids even like it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Before the game came out there was talk circulating that there was a limit to the number of times the game could be installed as an anti piracy measure. I don't know if this is true or just something proposed.

EA games now installs a program called secure rom, an anti piracy measure, with all their games. In the past this program hasn't always played nicely with cd and dvd burning software, rendering it unuseable. I suggest that you sign up for their website www.spore.com and see what other players are saying and what kind of troubles they are having.

That being said I do love Will Wrights games. I have the Rollercoaster Tycoons, Sim City, Sim City 2000, Sim City4 and the Sims both the original and The Sims 2. They are open ended, creative and fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts