Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will step up and open the challenge... Air that "haint tale" or old family spook story or even one that has happened to you that's unexplainable...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK... There was a family member many years ago in East Texas who had a local reputation as a possible witch. Nobody really believed it, in or out of the family. She died and was laid out, as was the custom then
(with no embalming). For some reason, she was left alone a short while, and when the family came back into the house, the room where she was laid out was filled with yellow cats... But nobody anywhere around had a yellow cat...

Reactions: Raeven

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
Ok, mine is fairly tame, but I can't pass up a triple-dog dare. I think I've shared this before, so if I bore you, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussse me!!

I was a kid, maybe 7-8 years old. We were visiting my granddad's place in the Middle-of-Nowhere, Idaho. The house was the old family place, had been there forever. Old-timey place with a wood cookstove in the main living/kitchen area. One bedroom was built off the main room and the rest of the bedrooms were upstairs. Outhouse for that sort of thing. Everywhere inside and out of that creaky old house was COLD, except for the main living/kitchen room, so everyone congregated there.

All my young life, I'd heard about Oscar. He was my granddad's uncle. Oscar was what was termed a ********* in those days, and he lived in the rooms upstairs. He would lay his head against the screen to the window outside to watch the world go by, and the indentation left behind was still there to see, plain as day. Granddad always said Oscar still lived upstairs, even though he'd been dead for decades. Anytime something went missing around the place, Oscar took the blame. I always assumed it was just kidding around and ghost stories.

One night, we were all hanging around in the living/kitchen area, talking and laughing. I remember my granddad was playing his guitar. He stopped for a moment, and when he did, I heard someone walking around upstairs. The sound of footsteps on a wooden floor, a sound completely ordinary. Except... we were ALL hanging around in the living/kitchen area. It took me a moment to work that out. I looked at my granddad, he grinned at me and said, "Oscar."

<insert spooky music here!>

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lesley found a trail cam pic I will ask her to post... Tell me what the buck is looking at...

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Not a scary story. The day after my husband died, my then nine year old son wanted to talk to me. He said he woke up in the middle of the night and Dad was sitting on the side of his bed. He said, "Max, I just wanted to tell you that I'm okay now and I love you very much. Look! I can walk now and talk now, too. I'm okay and I don't want you to worry anymore." My husband had a massive stroke when Max was two. He lay in a coma for seven years. My son could not remember his Dad ever walking or talking. I thought this was a beautiful reassurance for my son and yes, I believe it was very real.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never mind, that pic WAS a hoax...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
My son never met his great great grandmother. We've never talked about her to him and I didn't have any pictures of her on our walls.. She used to live where I live now and I was her favorite but she died when I was fifteen. We do have a Christmas ornament with her picture in it. On my sons first Christmas, he was eleven months old. We were getting ornaments out to hang them on the tree.
He pulled her ornament out. Said granma!
I said where have you seen grandma before?
He pointed to his room, smiled, and said, she nice. Love me.
Then hugged the ornament.
We've also heard kids playing in our yard when they weren't home. We live in the middle of nowhere.
Their toys will start randomly driving around or making music when the kids aren't home. I always say it's Bobby Jack, a little boy my great granny had who died at seven months old. He and my oldest daughter have the same birthday 77 years apart.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
When my mother in law passed I was asked to take her dog. He was not very old maybe 3 yrs old, but had a skin rash that the vet was treating with steroids. I had him one month and the rash was cleared up. I was sitting in the living room when my dead grandfather and my dead mother in law walked down the steps crossed the living room in front of me turned the corner to the hall way and went into the bathroom. I sat and watch noting the clothes they wore and the easy way they floated walked past me, got up and followed them into the bathroom. They had gone but the dog was covered in a towel dead.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Why are kids toys at night creepy? My disabled nephew had trouble playing with toys. He learned he could hold them with his good hand, and press the buttons with his tongue. The toys would make noises at night, his spit would short them out. The worst was when they would play in garbled slow motion.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My coworkers think the building is haunted. I don't believe in ghosts but I've still experienced things. I walked by the door one day and saw a shadow and cigarette smoke. I figured i could take a break and talk to them. I went out and there was no one there. The parking lot was empty. I was the only one there.

I was working alone the other day. I was in the lab with the door closed and tbe hydraulic press running. One guy lives across the street and likes sneaking up on me. I felt a cold breeze go through the room. I laughed and told him the breeze gave away his presence when he opened the door. I turned around and there was no one there, and the door was still closed.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I work in a nursing home that used to be an old hospital in the thirties. There's really too many ghost stories there to even get into. I will say that the old surgery floor is very creepy.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Since I was a kid I had stories of La llorona, a weeping lady that walked along the waterways and dry arroyas, and stole small children to never be seen again. It came from the Mexican culture, and I always figured it to be local. A few years ago I heard tales of her from another in Arizona that had heard of her as a kid and realized it was a southwestern legend.

Tonight I decided to google her, after finally asking for help with spelling.
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/gh-lallorona.html

Two or three years ago I was asleep in bed, when I was sure I had been awakened by someone kneeing my bed, like they were trying to wake me. I finally full awoke and although feeling sure it had happened, no one else was there. I had almost reached sleep again when it happened all over! Then I was sure it was real, and I came alive! Flashlight and pistol in hand, I searched the house...nothing! I knew it wasn't a dream and I was spooked!

I went back to bed and lay there awake, and it happened again! This time I was fully awake and things were rattling around on the dresser, and I thought AHA!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Colorado_earthquake My first and only experience of an earthquake.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
In the early 80's, my 1'st wife and I lived a way out in the country at a little crossroads. After 9 or 10 at night there was zero traffic. Late one hot night we were sitting on the couch watching TV, all the doors and window open, when a big Tstorm came up. In the middle of the storm, pouring rain, thunder and lighting, from the crossroads, we both heard what sounded like a toddler pleading, "Mommy?". Of course the hair stood up on us and our blood just ran cold. When we heard it again I grabbed a flashlight and dashed out into the storm, looking everywhere for some poor little child. I only got wet. It wasn't a cat or something like that. We plainly heard a child crying for its mommy.
Not long after that I awakened early one morning and was just laying in the bed enjoying not having to get up. Suddenly, I heard footsteps come down the hall, heal, toe, heal, toe, hard soled shoes, and they stopped at the foot of my bed. I had my arm around my wife, and we lived alone so, I knew whoever it was was not suppose to be there. By then I was like a coiled spring and leaped from my bed to confront the intruder. There was no one there. I later learned that that little house that we were renting had originally been on a marine base here in SC during WWII, had been bought at auction and moved there. I still don't believe in ghosts.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Game cam photo. Miles from anything.
seth...that looks like a man walking quartering away from camera..with a stocking hat on and his left arm is bent with some type of container..a bucket? you can see his arm/elbow is bent at a 90degree angle...it looks blurred because of walking movement to me...and maybe he even has a coat tied around at his waste.people get out and roam at night more than we realize....i use to cross properties at night **** hunting and people never even knew you was around.trappers often run traps pre daylight so others wont see catch in traps too.trespassing ginseng hunter...list goes on.

just what i see.

Reactions: RichNC and arcticow

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
a few years ago, my dd went on a ski trip to local mountain resort with friend and her Mom. They were due back around 7pm (dark then, it of course was winter, and very cold, very snowy) Sometimes between 630 and 645 pm, I heard the distinct noise of tires crunching on snow, pulling into the driveway. Then, heard footsteps crunching throught the snow, onto the steps, and running across the porch. Very distinctive sound. I thought it was my dd. Pulled open the door, clicked on the light- absolute darkness, nobody, no footprints either, no tire tracks, no headlights.
I waited with heart in mouth, to see if dd would come home safe. (I'm superstitious, oh well). She did return soon, safe and sound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts