Spoke with my kids today about buying the place next door...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ravenlost, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter in TX just kind of laughed it off when I mentioned them moving in next door, but my son in AL is intrigued. He said it sounds like a great opportunity to start a collective (something he's always been interested in). I am going to AL to pick up a deer my BIL had processed for us and will have lunch with my son to discuss this in more detail.

He would be a great asset around the farm as he loves animals and is very good at caring for them when we've had to go out of town.

We have a lot of things to think about and a lot of changes to make, but we have decided to forge ahead with our plans. While in AL I plan to poke around and see what equipment, etc. I can round up from my parents' farm. My mom has decided that any of Daddy's equipment that we can use here should go here and not be sold. And hubby talked to his hay field "partner" and they are going to get started finishing work on the 13 acre hay field if the rain will hold off next week (I don't think it will).

This is our planning time. Hopefully by April we will be in putting some of our plans in motion.

2. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Wow, that would be cool.

My in-laws had lots of land from a homestead but they've sold it off over the years in pieces to support them in their failing health. They also granted several acres to a conservation easement.

Wish we had had the opportunity to do something like you're doing when dad-in-law was still with us. *sigh*

3. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I live next to my in laws and I love it! I hope it all works out for you guys!

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Ravenlost, I think having your son nearby but not in your too close proximity would be neat for both of you, especially if he likes the animals also.

I have a section of my family that are gradually starting a family group of houses on 13 acres in Ark near Texarkana...... neat story.

HOpe it all works out for you..

Angie

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it would be a great stress relief for me Angie! I bet he called me six or seven times today, which means it's already time for me to make a trip over and make sure he is okay. Thank goodness he has friends living only a few apartments down from him now.