Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very fortunate to have a sewing room now. When that room became available I also bought the first new machine I had in over 20 years. It is a Babylock Elegante. I LOVE IT!

The problem is it is so nice I want to sew on it all the time. Today I decided I would embroider on it while I sewed on my old (25 years) Kenmore. The Kenmore has some issues - the stitch length dial has to be taped in place - but it can still do okay. I am just doing a tattered pioneer so I would be fine. But, I MISS my Babylock. I miss the thread cutter, I miss the knee lever to lift the presser foot and I just miss the smoothness and quietness.

I know I am spoiled rotten. When I take it in for service I am giong to look for another used machine. Talk me out of this, would you?:angel:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I cannot talk you out of a second decent machine. That's why I now have more than one extra decent machine.

Good luck on finding a good machine in the price you are going to be looking for.

Angie

·
notenoughtime
540 Posts
Countrysunshine, I just got my Elegante in Dec. 08 and can understand what you are saying. My old singer was almost 20 yrs old and I can't believe the difference. I just love the needle threader, cutter and the stitch indicater that tells you which foot to use. I haven't tried the knee lift yet. Know don't tell anyone but I have been looking for a better serger thinking of how much difference this machine has made what would a updated serger be like (the imagine babylock). So I understand completely so don't feel alone, I just keep thinking I should be happy with this wonderful machine. It sure makes sewing fun.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted that Babylock Imagine when I bought my Elegante 4 years ago. I just couldn't buy two machines that expensive. So, I got a Janome. It is nice but darn it is noisy. I know if I go back in looking I'll buy something else.

This afternoon I had my husband clean and oil my serger and the old Kenmore. I can do it myself but it is cold outside so he was indoors. I also have a migraine today and can't focus on littles stuff. So, I got him to keep me company and work for me at the same time!

he looked around at my sewing room and listened to my comments about what I need for my machines and suggested that I move my sewing room to the bigger upstairs room. Gosh, that would be nice. My sewing room is ~8.5x14. The big bedroom is 18x14!

Right now I am going to look for a better table for the "extra" machine and keep my eye out for a good deal on an "extra" machine.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I'd go nuts (and did for a long time!) without 2 machines. Especially if you have to send one off for servicing.

I've not heard the Janome sergers, but the Babylocks are also loud. I have a Babylock BLCS (coverstitch only) machine and it is LOUD compared to my Bernina serger (made by Juki).

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I have the Imagin serger. I've not noticed it more loud than a sewing machine. I think what it's sitting on makes some difference in the sound effects.

I do love the jet air threading. I was a wimp and would not have a serger for all the threading agravation I'd seen when sewing at schools and only ONE person could get a serger threaded to the extent they would have two sergers, one with white threads and one with black threads.

This air threading is so easy, the hardest part is putting on the stronger glasses to thread the eye of the needles (I'm not good with their needle threader). I got my Imagine when someone traded in for an Evolve.

Angie

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Congratulations on your new machine AND the new sewing room you get to move into.

I want a serger but know very little about them, nor do I know anyone who has one.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I don't have another new machine yet but I am looking. I am going to leave for work shortly so that I can take off early and go see one.

My husband thinks I will need to trade in my Elegante in a year or two, also. That was a shock to me. I considered it a once in a lifetime purchase.

I just wish there were stores closer to me. It is about 90 minutes to get to anything that sales machines like this. Hard to pop in and out frequently.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Well maybe not in a year or two, but never buy a computerized sewing machine expecting it to be a lifetime purchase. It will become obsolete and the boards will eventually quit working, and probably will not be able to be replaced after so many years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts