splitting hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by james dilley, Aug 29, 2005.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

We were just looking at the prices on queen bee's ,Yes you can get them year round.was thinking about getting some there about $15.00 each right now..would be nice to get more for spring pollination.

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Depending on where you live it is kind of late in the year to be doing splits. If you do choose to do splits then you will need to feed very aggressively.

Mike

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

My brother pulled 14 gallons of honey. and 10 frames of comb honey and the bees are filling them again. We have a 300 day season here ,Fall pollination starts soon. And then in Jan theres the Avacodo's and citrus then in March its watermelons. we have something blooming all year down here. plus theres pollen yr round too.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

If we had seasons like yours we woud do splits too. I find it much better to increase your colonies that way than buying packages, as you know your bees. We have bought package bees in the past and had to destroy them because they were very sick with AFB. Not only did we loose the money on packages but also had to burn all the equipment.
    I would take a bit of time though and shop for good queens and prices.
    Although sold out for 2005, these are very high quailty queens for a better price.
    http://www.watchtv.net/~honeyrun/bees_orders.php

Good luck!!!!!
    :D Al