Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a log splitter that I run off the hydraulics of my tractor, works fine, had it many years now. I would like to improve it by replacing the valve so that I don't have to hold it in position in each direction, and save time. I've never replaced the valve, just wondering if there are any words of advice or what I should look for to get the right one? I think what I am looking for is a detent valve, correct?

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,959 Posts
As Case said, surplus center is a good place to start. Just make sure the flow rates match up....and I'd advise making sure you check physical sizes as well. I've been surprised in the past to get newer valves which are much smaller and required redoing the mount, extending lines, etc.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
my valve returns with out holding, but one needs to hold it to split and I would not want a valve that you did not need to hold on the splitting stroke,

on the return I think it some thing like 600 psi if it gets more than 600 psi it will kick the valve out, make retracting the cylinder easy,

the two stage pump helps a lot, as well, there are two pumps in one, and for low psi it will pump a lot of gallons, and when pressure builds it will switch to the lesser GPM and about three to 4 times the PSI, thus fast travel time and a lot of PSI, when needed,
thus a smaller engine can provide speed as well as power,

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
My splitter also releases just by smacking the valve, however, I would not want my log splitter to run any simpler than it does now. I've spent long periods of time splitting wood, and I can understand how the repetition of hold to split and then release can be very monotonous. When you start looking for easier methods by altering how your splitter works, it is time to go inside for lunch or do something different that day. I see numerous examples around me when I visit with the local amish; gruesome injuries from crude farm equipment.
Beyond that, yes, surplus center should fix you right up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts