Split tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by scottdoyle, Aug 25, 2004.

1. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

What causes tomatoes to split? They are big enough to start rippening but know they are spliting.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

usually overwatering

3. uneven or inconsistant watering. almost the same anwer as given but a subtle diferance.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with inconsistent watering: if the tomato plant is a little dry and then you water it, the fruit take up water faster than their skins can expand, so they split. There is also a genetic component to this; some varieties are simply more prone to cracking and splitting than others.

So keep the soil evenly moist and not only will it help witht the splitting, if you have blossom-end rot problems it will help with that, too.

5. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

This year has been very very wet here, rain almost every couple days. I have my garden mulched with black plastic and hay but the ground has been very wet. We've also had very few days of hot weather.

The tomato needs the hot weather to help ripen. This has given me a lot of rotten tomatoes on the vine that are still green, I have end rot terrible and also some splits.

It is preparing to rain again tonight, sigh, a wet summer usually is followed by a wet winter.... ECK lots of snow and and early winter is coming this way I think

I am hoping next year to be better.

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I sure am glad that I am not the only one with tomatoes rotting on the vine. We have also had alot of rain this summer with only two 100 degree days. My Early Girl tomatoes have been split the entire growing period, the Beefsteaks have been half and halfand the Sweetie cherry tomatoes have a slit down the side (almost like they are bursting).

Almost all of my watermelon had split open also (ripe or not).

uhg!!