split-system mobile home air conditioner problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by AngieM2, Jul 19, 2005.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I have this in Country Families, but was suggested more tech types hang out here - thanks Angie
    +++++++++++++++++++++=

Okay - all you smart peoples.....

I live in a mobile home, it's 6 or 7 years old now. I am under extreme trees where the outside part of airconditioner sits.

air conditioner has always just worked fine. During summer, probably set at about 72-74.

This year is being different. About 2 weeks ago, it froze 1/2 up the coils in the inside air area where the coils are. Water did leak on floor that time.
    I turned off air conditioner, cracked windows for cat, and put out the small fan I had - left ceiling fan going. Went to work, checked the internet, got some info.

At home that night, I vacummed out where the water tray is, checked the aluminum /\ filters, and the white upper filter, and vacuumed them. Put the cover back on and turned it on. It worked okay for about a week, then froze partially again.

I've cleaned leaves from around the outside compressor, but not yet washed it out with a hose. But that's never bothered it before now.

It seems to be trying to freeze after only an hour or two now. So I've got two or three more little fans, and have the FAN only part of the equipment working right now, and windows cracked again. (3 diff. bowls of water for cat and cool places to hide).

The mobile home is feeling like it has sunk some on this end of the set up, and having difficult time getting in touch with someone licensed to re-level it.

So - 1. Do I start hunting someone to check to re-charge the system? and for leaks
    2. could water from the try be getting on the coils from home being a bit lower on the water tray side?
    3. give up and get a small window type unit from somewhere like Walmart?

Suggestions please.

Thanks - Angie

2. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

Coils freeze for two main reasons. low on charge, air restriction(dirty filter, registers closed). You need to have a pro look at it, that will be cheaper then a window unit, or what you are doing now. I know it is not cheap, but thats the breaks. One service call in 6 years is not too bad, your coils (probably both should be cleaned) mobils are infamous for dirty evap coils.
    best wishes

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

update -
    tech guy looked at filters - good
    looked at coils - good and clean
    probably just low on freon, $10 a pound, do I want it charged while he's here -yes
    2.5 lbs low on freon, got it put in.

even if slow leak should be good for 6month to 2yrs, depending on leak.

$95.

done, and cooling

Angie

4. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

glad to hear it! it is way hot were I am!