Splicing cable?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ravenlost, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I was clipping weeds around the house foundation and clipped the cable to our TV satellite right in half. Can this cable be spliced back together? Can I do it myself before my husband gets home from work so I can avoid much laughter and teasing at my expense? :eek:

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Yes, you can fix it, sorry to be so late but had to work late. Cut a long leg of a paper clip, insert it into the center of the cable, makeing sure each half gets half of the clip leg, it must touch the center core. Wrap black tape around that mend. Now make a metal contact the outer woven cable at both ends, fine copper wire is good for this, again wrap. Tomorrow go to Radio Shack and get a cable splice connector, install as directions state. Later, trick DH into thinking he did it.

3. Ravenlost

THANKS! I'll run to Radio Shack in the morning. I've got it working right now...was panicked when I couldn't find the electrical tape, but finally found it.

I can promise you that when I get it fixed the husband will never EVER know. I'm the fixer-upper around here. As long as the TV is working he'll be fine.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

That patch will be fine for awhile, but eventually, moisture will get into the connection and the signal will degrate. You will need a waterproof splice.

When you are at the radio shack, purchase a pair of coax cable connectors (male and female). Ask the sales-person to help you choose a pair that will work for your cable. (I don't remember if cable is RG-58 or something else, you can look on the cable for the wire type.) You will also need a crimp tool to crimp on the connectors. Instructions should come with the parts and/or tool.

Though I don't remember what it is called, Radio shack also has a putty-like tape sealant to seal water out of the connectors. You simply wrap the tape around the connection and the cable and mold it tightly around the connector using your hands.

The important thing to remember is that the connection is electrically stable (paper clip will corrode) over time and the inner wire will not contact the outer braided shield, that the connection is mechanically secure (will not pull apart), and that it is protected from the weather (no moisture and gas-tight--electrical tape will not work, moisture will condense inside).

Dale (DH of Mary, TX)

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Oops, I did not read your post carefully enough. I just noticed that it was satellite and not cable TV. Same advice, but I don't know what kind of wire is used. Again check with salesperson to get right kind of connectors.
    Dale

6. Ravenlost

Thanks Dale. I'll have to write all the stuff down or I will never remember what I need!

Right now my temporary splice is working fine, but we haven't had any rain...no rain in sight either. If it ever rains I'll be in trouble! :D