Spineless Prickly Pear

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TexCountryWoman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Howdy! I have lot's of cactus that I got a start from years ago that i just call "Spineless Prickly Pear" because that's what it looks like. I live where there is pleanty of regular prickly pear to compare it too. I really like this "tame" cactus and was wondering if I was calling it by it's right name. I did a google search and it seemed right except that mine NEVER blooms. Google search indicates that it should. It is really healthy and it really should bloom if it is a true "opunia" (sp?). I have a green thumb and know what to give it and how to treat it so I don't think that is really the problem as I can get pretty much any kind of cactus to bloom (I could be wrong!). I have seen beautiful specimens of this cactus in other folks yard, huge ones, and they don't bloom either. Perhaps it is something else. Any ideas?

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I have several of the same cactus in my yard. I started my existing plants with just one pad from a friend's yard. I have only seen mine bloom one time in the last 10 years. I have not even seen them bloom in the wild.

Just be patient.

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

some of mine bloomed last year.
    they have to have some age on them, mine are about 8 years old.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Thanks for responding. Mine are probably getting that old. Started with just a small peice. I just love them. So easy and hardy. We have had very rare hard freezes down here and they have even survived that. You would think they would have died, being frozen like that, but they pull through it. I always bring a bit inside though, just in case. i had some really cool snake looking cactus from the valley (rio grande valley) and lost it this winter when we had that bad freeze thing. Made me sad. I wasn't expecting cold weather like that. i will have to trek all the way back down there to get more! Also lost a weird succulent that blooms with huge flowers that smell like death. I have just a peice left. lost three nice plants, thought i brought them in but didn't, i was crushed.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

"Also lost a weird succulent that blooms with huge flowers that smell like death. I have just a peice left. lost three nice plants, thought i brought them in but didn't, i was crushed."
    I dont know if I would consider that a loss.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Prickly pear is supposed to be really good for controlling your blood sugar! Do you eat yours?

7. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I don't. I have seen them sell the pads in the produce section at the grocery store, though.

Aren't they the same ones that are in the jars in the Mexican food section of the grocery store? I've never tried those, either.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yep, same thing. My neighbor says tastes like green beans. I haven't tried them. Just haven't had time to do it.

9. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

make sure and remove ALL of the spines. The thorns are obvious, but those little,hard to see, stickers MUST be removed. Get them in your mouth or throat and you've got problems.

10. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

a real easy way of ensuring all thorns are gone from prickly pears is to do a quick once over with a propane torch, the little hairs incinerate and the fruit is unnaffected.