Spindly pumpkin seedlings.......

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by monarchcmj, May 25, 2005.

1. monarchcmj

monarchcmj Well-Known Member

Our pumpkin plants sprouted over the weekend, and, because of the constant rain we're having, there hasn't been much sun and the poor seedlings are getting very tall and spindly. The plants are in Peat-Pots inside because the ground here is still too cold for planting, so I'm trying to figure out how I can give them the light they need inside until conditions are better for planting them outside.
    I have heard about Gro-Lites, but don't know much about them. I would need to buy an incandescent bulb but I don't know what strength to buy, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Christy

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I have mine under shop lights....one cool and one warm florescent. They are also in peat pots, and trying to take over the dining room table. I wish it would warm up!! :bash:

3. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I think your best bet is a 4' flourescent shoplite. The cheap kind (about $7-$10) will work just as well as the more expensive ones. If it comes with bulbs, they will be cool white bulbs. Replace one with a warm white bulb to give it a fuller spectrum. If it doesn't have bulbs, buy a warm white and a cool white. The warm white bulbs will also provide a little more heat for your seedlings. Every few days turn your light around or rotate the plants to even out the growth patterns. Keep the light a few inches above the seedlings, if they get too close, the tender seedlings can get burnt. Pray for sunshine and warm weather.