Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Momma, Goatherder etc....
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have the second (and last litter) of our neighbors cat and two of the three were born with spina bifida, they have closed up and stopped "leaking". One has some issues with the legs we are working on PT for the little ones. they are ten days old and now we have to think about their future.

Every (well the six I called plus the one family friend) vet recommended we put them down, they will never survive. That of course is not an option with my mother.

Has anyone dealt with this in the past? We may need to create a cart for the little one with leg issues but the other one seems to get around fine on her own.
Any information would be helpful - Thanks Thea

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I'm not sure about cats, but with children, there are often internal issues.

My friend has a son (10 yrs) that you would never know had it. But he has no bladder control. Not good with a pet! :shrug:

·
Momma, Goatherder etc....
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mamahen luckily my mother, a reformed nurse, doesn't mind that their may be some incontinence. I know their is a high risk of infection. Mom has decided to go with quality of life, and being the designated "animal killer" ( I just don't know what else to call this position) in my family I was dreading a trip to the vet with two tiny kittens that had to be euthanized. First technically that is a hard stick and worst no one in my area specializes in cats, so lots of praying going on my way that they stay alright.
Take care - Thea

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Our vet has kept *many* kittens and cats with no hind leg (on any leg) function at all) alive and happy, even the spina bifida cases. She has carts for them, as well as stud pants (kitty diapers). It can be done, if you're willing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts