Spin Off-What species of Hummers do you have?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Little Quacker in OR, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I'd very much like to do a little survey on what's happening out there with the species of hummers and where they are showing up.

Please post what species you have where you live. IF you can give the closest large city to where you are..that helps too.

Thanks!!!! :p LQ

2. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

The only species we have is the ruby-throated hummingbird. They using arrive in May; May 15 is when I see them here. The nearest city is LaCrosse, WI on the Mississippi river. I live an hour southeast of LaCrosse.

3. Surveyorwill

Surveyorwill Active Member

I would love to accommodate your request the only problem would be that no one in our family knows how to identify the different species. :eek: Could you provide some info or web link? :)

Last Saturday afternoon DW got out the hummingbird feeder and had, our oldest boy hang it out by the deck. Sunday morning I was enjoying breakfast with our two younger boys on the deck when we were visited by the first two hummers of the year coming to the feeder, it was very enjoyable. :cool:

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Not sure of the name but they are ruby throated and neon green

5. Little Quacker in OR

:) Here are some links on Hummers here in the US.

http://www.trochilids.com/winter.html

http://www.rubythroat.org/OtherSpeciesMain.html

Have fun!!! I am thinking that you guys don't have the bible of bird ID's. LOL
    Audubon's Field Guide to North Amerian birds..it's by region so you can get the edition thats for where you live. It's great! Now, if I could only get a "book" that tells me what their sounds and songs are. I have the worst time trying to figure out what bird is making what noises! Even if I hear it, most of the time..I can't SEE it! LOL

Have fun...LQ

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................We have lots of Hummers around here. In fact, I've noticed Blonds prefer Black or Red hummers almost exclusively. ;) ..Brunette's seem to love the beige or yellow models and Redheads are liable to show up in any color of the Rainbow.......... :eek: :) :yeeha:

7. Little Quacker in OR

:) Thanks!!! And Fordy..I want a red one!!!! LOL

LQ

8. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

I live an hour south of Seattle and we have Rufous and Anna's. The rufous usually show up in March and the Anna's may stay year round but I've never seen one in the winter.

9. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We only have the ruby throated here in NE Ohio. I don't expect them for two more weeks, but I'll put the feeder up this weekend just in case. Does anyone else notice that the males show up a week or two before the females? Why is this? The last summer bird to arrive before the hummers is the chipping sparrow, and I saw one on Friday, so they can't be far behind!

10. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

ruby-throated hummingbird - always arrive 4/16 every year!

11. Little Quacker in OR

:) Thank You!!! Melissa, the males of whatever species always arrive first in the Northern Hemisphere. Only personal opinion you understand but I think that is because the girls wait and see if the guys get eaten..then if it's safe they "come on down!"...errrrr, "up!" LOL NO, no, no..that's not it at all! LOL

Here, the Rufous Males arrive first, then the females.....then the Calliope males come in and then the Calliope females. We get sporatic visits from the Anna's and if I am lucky a Black Chinned. I do miss the profusion of species we saw in the desert!

Thanks again....LQ