spider invasion

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ohiosteve, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

We have been invaded by scores of large black spiders! Any suggestions on how to repel them? Our house is a very old brick farmhouse. We probably kill
    a dozen or so every evening as they run across the living room floor. So far
    (thank goodness) they have not made it upstairs to the bedrooms. We've sprayed and sprayed with aerosol for that purpose to no avail. I'm getting really weary of hearing the blood curdling screams from the wife! :help: :help:

2. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

OMG Steve - sounds just like our house! Seems like every other year or so we have a TON of them - yep - running across the living room floor. (Our house is also a very old farmhouse) ICK! They are disgusting, large, black spiders. I'm not sure if they are wood spiders or wolf spiders. At any rate, we have three cats in the house and I haven't done any spraying because of them. Wonder if anyone has any suggestions for that situation? We're getting ready to get new carpet put in - brown carpet as opposed to the light blue carpet that is down now - and I know chances are I'm not going to be able to see them running around nearly as well with brown carpet! :eek:

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

We have been hit with them hard this year as well. Wife killed 23 one day.
    Hedge apples are suppose to keep they away. Me I am going to nuke them with chemicals. WHen they invade my space then they are going to DIE>

4. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I've noticed this year we're seeing a lot more large brown spiders... and of course, spiders scare the you know what outta me!!!!!! I just got to wondering where they were getting in from and realized a couple spots where they could be getting into the attic (one is a rotting board at the back of the house just under the roofing, another spot is 2 skylights that have gaps between the frame and the sheetrock).

So I think the first priority will be to fix those two things, and then have DH bomb the house with a bug killer of some type. I'll have to get the cats out of the house first. Wonder if it would harm plants.

Added: Oh and we're infested with those little moths that get in packaged foods, so the bug bombs should kill those off too.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ha, we fit the profile to a T. 120 year old farm house. Large (and I mean LARGE) wolf spiders making the 'dash' from our downstairs bathroom to the kitchen. BIG SPIDERS. UGLY SPIDERS... JITTERY WIFE.

Edited to add:

We would rather just squish em. They do less harm than all those nasty chems and as far as I can tell those chems don't really work well on spiders.

6. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i had an invasion of brown widows, poisons didn't do crap since the spiders made their own homes and didnt walk on the poison in mine.

they were all in the porch and one of those long tip lighters and about 6 months of burning the little bastards finally put them at bay.

they are still around I am sure, but it's not so blatent anymore.

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

We catch them in jars and feed them to the ducks. :cool:

8. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to see this thread -
    A few days ago there was a thread about people who love their spiders & actually name them & let them stay! ah! I about died! :eek:

I am a spider hater/killer.
    However, I've had to curb my attitude a bit since I have kids - trying not to pass on the phobia to the little ones.

Our house is invaded every year at this time too -
    When it starts getting chilly outside, they come in for warmth.

I say "stomp 'em" all! :mad:

9. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I've found that Raid foggers work the best for spiders. With having one daughter that is terrified of spiders squishing them is not an option. The Wolf spiders (some as bigs as a half dollar) seem to swarm into the house at the time of a killing frost, how they get in I haven't figured out yet.

10. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sold on sticky traps. The price of SavALot's brand is not too bad. Our basement was infested with huge spiders, huge ugly brown crickets, scorpions, centipedes etc. etc. and after two seasons we only get an occasional bug on them but I still leave one or two around. Caught a snake and some lizards also. I just can't figure how something that big gets into a seemingly very tight new basement! Rita in TN

11. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Oh Lord Rita! I guess we all shouldn't complain about our spiders compared to the other stuff you've had in your basement! :eek:

12. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

13. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

wolf spiders aren't poisonous. I wouldn't dream of spraying insecticides in my house so when I find one I just catch it in the dishpan and throw it back outside. I've been finding one a day in the shower but after the first hard freeze there will only be the occasional one. For some reason I don't like squishing spiders. Especially the little black fuzzy spiders; they are kinda cute :)

14. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

The old remedy around here is to place osage oranges in containers in the corners of rooms. I use the little foil plates they sell pot pies in or cut the bottoms off 2 liter bottles. They get pretty mushy when they start to break down but spiders don't like them.

15. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

THE FORMULA TARGETED TO KILL FLEAS WILL ALSO KILL " 'PIDERS". A FRIEND REPORTED THAT SHE HAD HER 3 STORY STILT HOUSE SPRAYED BY EXTERMINATOR FOR FLEAS AND IT KILLED ALL THE SPIDERS.

LIVING UNDER TREES PROMOTES THEM.

HEATHER - MY FIRST TWO DEAR KIDS WERE TAUGHT TO VERY FIRMLY KILL EVERY 'PIDER IN SIGHT. IT WAS THEIR DUTY TO PROTECT MOMMY. OTHERWISE THE ROOM WOULD BE LITTERED W/BOOKS/SHOES SHE TREW AT IT.
    THIRD KID WAS NOT TAUGHT TO DO SO. SHE IS AFRAID OF THEM AS IS HER KID. EVEN THE TINY TINIEST BUG IS A 'PIDER TO HIM.
    :viking:

16. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

17. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

how can they say wolf spiders aren't poisonous???

how do they kill their prey? they certainly don't use karate! they bite and inject venom. doesn't that constitute poisonous??

18. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

What are you paranoid???

Ummm... they mean to humans. They don't kill humans. Trust me, after being bitten while sleeping many times through my life by wolf spiders. I can assure you I am (mostly) ok.

19. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

OK all you spider haters! Now for an opposing viewpoint....

I like spiders, they eat other bugs, and I will rarely kill one. Most of the time they are happy to go about their business, ridding your home of other insects. What do you think they eat? Carrots?
    The only common spiders I feel are a menace to my safety are the brown recluse and the black widow. I've not seen very many black widows, but around here,there are many brown recluses. These I kill on sight, and will hunt them down if they escape. Their favorite hunting grounds include drawers, behind books, in laundry (especially if piled on the floor), and generally everywhere there is clutter and good hiding places, hence the name 'recluse'.
    Vaccum behind everything, caulk around the baseboards, under the sink, etc and you will go a long way to reducing your spider problems. I know this will be a little more difficult in an old and drafty farmhouse, but a little prevention will go a long way. I once lived in an old farmhouse and was awoken one night by the sounds of a brown recluse fighting a june bug. THAT was a little disconcerting!

Good luck! (oh, and if you want to pay a few bucks for shipping, i've got TONS of hedgeapples falling from the trees everywhere around here. I'd be GLAD to send you some!)

Greg

20. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

We get the big spiders in the house in the fall also.Always around halloween.They are so big my Jack Russell Terrier is afraid of them.She will take on about anything.My granddaughter had a good Idea.Put toads in your house and lizards they don't bite and they eat spiders.