spider bite, what type?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have a picture. I'm going to describe a bite and maybe someone can tell me what it might be. last week i was bitten by something near my elbow and for about 2 days the entire area was swollen in about a 2" diameter and raised about 1/4", was hot, pinkish red and kind of hard. Then it just went away and there are 3 little bumps left over still. I assumed it was a spider bite. Then a few days later I got one on my face right above my eye.

Today the top of my right hand is swollen and i'm assuming i've been bitten again. I have pretty big veins on my hands from being skinny and the swelling has engulfed the veins and the entire top of my right hand. It's hot, pinkish red, swollen and kind of hard. I'm sick to my stomach, but that's probably from working hard in the intense heat all day. My wrist aches, but so did my elbow with the other bite.

Can anyone help me narrow this down a bit so I can look up the type of spider? There are no visable bites right now but on the other from before on my elbow, i didn't see the bites until after the swelling went down.

When i look up spider bites on google, i'm getting the severe eat your flesh off type. This isn't anything like that. Just a little uncomfortable and creepy looking.

2. timmcentire

timmcentire Active Member

I can't help with identifying the spider type, but I can recommend trying activated charcoal on the bite site as soon as you know you have been bitten. We have a lot of brown recluses around here and from what I've found on the web, putting activated charcoal on the bite site as well as taking some internally helps rid your body of the toxin. Might help with your bite as well, if it happens again. Activated charcoal is kinda hard to find, but your local drug store should be able to order some.

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Yikes, I think this is one time that I would be considering setting off one of those canned fumigating bombs inside of my house. If you do, remember to shut off any source of ignition as they are typically flammable.

I used one several years ago and about the same time read of several homes/apartments destroyed because people set off more cans than reccommended and didn't shut off sources of ignition. One apartment complex was nearly leveled when 5 were used instead of the recommended 1.

4. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

There is a nice thread on bites and spiders from a couple months back. I'd do a search on "spider bites".

Here's info from Univ. of NE on spiders and spider bites: http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/spiders.htm

Bombs and foggers are not helpful for spiders. Spiders are able to move away from the insecticides and just come back out later - especially hunting type spiders found in homes.

5. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Brown recluse?? Is your skin starting to rot? turn black/brown> Looks at first, maybe a tick got in there?
    tnborn

6. Sparticle

I'm getting these bites outside. the only problem i have inside are some ants.

7. Sparticle

No, like I said above, it's not the flesh rotting off type of bite.

This morning it's past the veins on my hand and has swollen into my knuckles. It doesn't feel very comfortable, but I can still type (obviously) and I'll be able to get the tire back on the tractor. But hand is very sausage like. The bite is showing itself now and is rather itchy. It's the tiniest little bite and hard to believe it's causing so much swelling. The swelling seems almost independent of the bite other than they are in the same relative location. Hopefully it'll go down by tomorrow.

8. wildwestwoman

wildwestwoman Well-Known Member

I'm not a big doctor fan but maybe you should see a doc. If this is prevelent in your area perhaps he/she could diagnose the type of bite that it is. This might lead to some suggestions as to how to avoid the spideys or at least know where and what to look for.

I hope you're feeling better soon.\

Suzi

9. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

It sounds like a reaction to a horsefly or deerfly bite than spider. They will bite and fly and they almost always swell like you are describing. Try putting Milk of Magnesia on it and/or raw tobacco. Also, some people react to no-see-ums like that. I get huge welts with any of those 3, but the mosquitos don't bother me.

dkhern likes this.
  10. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Unfortunately, there are no guides that can identify the cause of the swelling. It may or may not be a spider. There are no spider bite guides either. Whatever it is you are sensitive to it. It could even be a reaction to a plant, chemical, or medication.

Doctors jump to conclusions regarding spider bites and will often diagnose brown recluse. The are other spiders that cause the same effect. Those bitten don't always have the same reaction.

Most spider bites occur accidentally. They don't stalk you. Instead, you put on a shirt that was lying on the floor or the end of the bed, which has a spider in the sleeve. Or you're working in the field moving cut grass and a spider runs up your sleeve.

Be careful and don't hesitate to go to the emergency room if the swelling worsens. Benydryl is a common over the counter medication that I carry for wasp stings. It may lessen the symptoms but it may make you drousy.

It's pretty much impossible to get rid of all the spiders. You wouldn't want to do that anyway. There are some simple things you can do. First don't allow tall grasses and plants against buildings. Caulking and sealing does a lot to close off spider entry points and it has a good payback in energy savings as well. This can be a challenge in older homes, but persistance wins in the end.

Inside the house, the vacuum cleaner is the most powerful weapon you have. I do NOT recommend bombs because they do not get all the spiders, and you are filling your entire house with pesticide. Use the vacuum cleaner along baseboard edges, the undersides of furniture, and corners and you will actually kill more spiders than the bomb will. If you must use a pesticide, suck up a teaspoon of boric acid into the vacuum when you're done.

Most sprays will kill a spider if you hit it, but few have much impact if you don't hit it with spray. If you see the spider, why not hit it with a newspaper or suck it into the vacuum instead of soaking it with pesticide.

Good luck

11. Sparticle

Oh I hope you guys don't think I meant I want to kill all my spiders. I love my spiders. I'm being over run by them right now, but I rarely see a fly. They keep my yard pretty much fly free although I have seen 2 this year.

I hadn't thought about this NOT being a spider bite, it could be something else as someone mentioned. It's gotten a little worse since this morning, but I've been working outside and the heat may be making the poison spread. I've lost the knuckle of my ring finger. I'm going to use some benydryl tonight for the swelling.

12. renabeth

renabeth Well-Known Member

Sounds like staph. It's epidemic right now. If you didn't see a spider bite you, I would look at that. If it is you will need antibiotics. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong.

murkerson likes this.
  13. Sparticle

that's what a friend of mine said too, but the one on my elbow went away, so it couldn't be staff right?

14. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Sounds like the bite I got last year under my chin. I was horribly swollen and looked like a freak and it itched for about 5 days. It did not close off breathing or anything so I had to assume it was not serious just seriously inconvenient. I used something called Ivarest - a poison ivy remedy creme and it gave me great relief. It ran it's course and went away. I was clearing woods area of small stuff when I got it, never felt a thing. I do not garden or anything now without spraying myself with a good deet body spray. sapphira

15. Sparticle

a lot of the swelling has gone down today, but it feels bruised. I also have tiny little pink speckles all over my hand, I guess from broken capilaries due to swelling. There's a tiny little bite no bigger than an ant bite that is left over. I was covered in DEET so whatever got me wasn't affected by it or maybe I washed my hands and forgot to re-apply

16. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I posted a couple weeks back asking about what I thought was a strange poison ivy rash. The next day, each "dot" was the size of a quarter, raised, bright red, and hot. I ended up going to the doctor immediately and it took 3 doctors consulting before any of them had an idea.

It turns out that they were spider bites. I'd been "down south" that weekend, and the spiders down there weren't normally seen up here, so the doctors didn't recognize the bites.

I was told to take Benedryl to help with the itching (which really wasn't too annoying), and prescribed a cortizone creme to help the swelling to go down. They said if that didn't work, they'd use a cortizone shot in each "bump", but it went away after a few days. I still have a tiny "dot" where each one was, but that's about it.

17. Sparticle

Today I'm left with a bruise, kind of yellow green, over the surface of my entire hand. So this thing packed quite a punch for being such a little fella.

18. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My 12 year old had a spider bite on her butt last week. It started out red and swollen and kept swelling and getting harder until it was like a boil and she swore she had grown another butt cheek! She soaked in the ocean for a bit and it seemed to drain and the swelling went down. The next day it was swollen again and very painful. We soaked in a friend's pool that uses salt water instead of chlorine and it seemed to drain and again the swelling went down. The day after that it came to a point and started dripping blood.
    After that it looked like a bullet hole (she called it her "drive-by-bug-butt-bite"). The doctor gave her antibiotics, but it still drains and is slowly closing. I told her she can have a tatoo to cover the scar when she is 18, but that the shape of the scar will determine the shape of the tatoo. I'm thinking a spider tatoo might be appropriate!

19. varanandy

varanandy Member

Spider vein is the most serious of the problem because it needs immediate care.

20. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

When I got bit by a brown recluse-I was in Sturgis, had ridden from Wash. state on HD. So when I woke up and my Kidneys were hurting bad, I thought it was a Kidney infection, called the Dr. got antibotics. Left town and my wrist was itching bad. By the time I got to Michigan,I had a flat raised spot about 50 cent peice. The center started to turn black and rot. ...figured out it was a spider went to a dermatoligst, he refused to belive it and sent me to hosptial to have blood taken. My white count was off, they wanted to do a blood transfusion. I said no and took antibotics and Apis(homeopathic remedy) and in about 3 weeks it was gone. But it did come back about 9 months later. Did the same treatment. I'd say the antibotics are what really helped me.