Spent today...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Slev, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

So today, (turning 43) I spent the day working outside around the farm, the most important thing was assembling my new(used) lambing jugs -complete just need to find the right size water buckets.

It looks like they need to be as big around as the typical 5 gal, but shorter more like a 3 gal. Anyone know where to find such a beast? I tried the pails that milk replacer comes in, they are not big enough around.

I suppose I could simply cut down some 5 gal. but I'd really like to keep the handle. ....Still, suppose I could always use a few haybale strings, (I don't think a few would be missed from the 1 ton pile I am harvesting.) I'm thinking of braiding them all and hang them from the peak in the hay loft along with a sign; "Farmer Rapunzel, Farmer Rapunzel, let down your green hair...."

a boring birthday to say the least, at least it was warm

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Oh, I dunno, sounds like a better birthday than someone I know from another forum had yesterday. Power went out at the barn he manages (and was still out today), plus his wife got two phone calls, about 14 hours apart, telling her that both of her ex-husbands had died! I think I'd rather be doing fencing and lambing jugs and the like :shrug:

Anyway, as to your bucket issue...I think mine are the 3 gallon buckets and they've got a flat side so that you can snap them up against a fence post or inside a barn. Opening about the size of a plastic 5 gallon, but perhaps a wee bit larger, and of course a handle. I get mine at feed stores and am having a hard time imagining your stores not having them...or why they won't work for you if that's what you have? They're pretty much standard for horse buckets.

3. Slev

wow the ex's going would be a loss for sure, especially if they stayed somewhat close. I know the buckets you're talking about, but the ones I'm looking for fit the bucket-holders that Ketchum Sheep Equipt. has. They are a red metal frame that loops around their jug system. I also have the small rectangle feeders that hold a flake of hay and grain at the bottom. I wound up buying 5 complete used lambing jugs, the sheep flipper, 2 lock out gates, a lamb creep gate and a locking head shute, (for locking a stuborn ewe in so a lamb can graft on if need be) Bought the whole system for 1/2 the cost of new, and it was only a few years old. Bought it all back when I got that 18 panel round pen, also @ 1/2. -I got tired of doing things the hard way, thought I'd see how the better half lives! lol Anyway, at least I'm set for lambing season, ....I think!

ps, we just went 9 days without power during that freak icestorm St. Louis had. WE now have our very own generator and had to buy a new chain saw!

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

ya know , i was feeling sorry for you till i read you had a round pen handeling system! :flame: :Bawling: happy birthday slev! :dance: :dance: we use a pail that we froze sheep milk in ,when we gave up milking (prossesers that would not pay) had enough for 2 ton of milk. little smaller than 5 gallons and tough! can freeze the water solid and the sheep can play football with them! will get the brand name later but any food service foodgrade pail was what we used before. any chance for pix of the round pen? looking at building one in the new year, have a trampoline frame to act as the frame.

5. Slev

haha Ford, well I guess it wasn't all that bad! The round pen I have is those Preifert 6 rail brown utility panels they sell at TSC & Rural King. While they are mostly used for horses, he used it for his sheep to train his dog on, as well as process sheep treatent. I mainly wanted it for our horse, and to include it as part of the sheep handling system, though it is set up for the horse now.