Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get a lot of spent brewers grain from local brewer. We feed it to our chickens and hogs, but have lots left over. If we got a feeder calf would it eat it and would it save us a lot of feed cost for a cow. We are new to cows and would love to have beef on our farm but don't really want the big expense of a cow. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
A lot of people around here feed it to cattle and all are doing fine. The only negative I have heard is that it must be fed with other feeds such as hay etc. I think pretty much everyone is satisfied with it as a feed source.

Wade

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know my boss's son feeds it with bread and minerals and they love it for sure. When I fed it to my bull calves I used a bucket and filled it about half way and filled their feeders and let them snack on it. I just wouldn't feed em to much then they'll probably get sick of it. I would start out slow and give a little at a time. Just to get em use to it.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
For a calf I would mix it with a little oats and minerals. Perfect feed. Has more energy value so the put on weight faster. I would love to have a free source of spent brewers grain.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The energy value will be lower than regular grain but the protein levels will run around 30% or perhaps higher.
It will be low in calcium like grain normally is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts