Spedometer acting odd....

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Hears The Water, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey folks, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I have a 1993 Dodge Caravan auto trans. In June I was doing a lot of highway driving and something odd happend with my spedometer. It is the dial type, not the digital. I was driving along and the car just lighty lurched and the spedometer needle just fell back down to zero. It just stayed that way for a while. Off and on since then sometimes it will pop back up to what ever speed I am going and then sometimes it will work right from the start up and then part of the way thru the trip it will drop back down to zero. Of cource, now the odometer doesn't work either. It seems that with city driving it doesn't happen much. But when I am going at least 45 it does it. I do a lot of highway driving as I live right next to an exchange and it saves me quite a bit of time when I need to get across town. Any and all help would very much be appreceated. I think I need to invest in a Chilton's since John and I both have caravans. And we are doing quite a bit of work on them ourselves since John was a mechanic for years. The down side is that newer cars (and yes, a 93 is new to us) have computerized systems that John is just not familular with. If any of you have any ideas, I would very much appreceate any and all help.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

i'm not familiar with the caravan, however if your speedo is operated by a cable, then your cable is probably working its way loose or is starting to strip the part that rotates. If it's electronic, than you probably have a short somewhere on the dash panel. Maybe a wire has come loose but still has contact which explains the intermittant operation. However (again), if this only happens at higher speeds, that leads me to believe it is mechanical related rather than electrical. Good luck.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Look up under the dashboard with a flashlight for an armored cable about 1/3rd bigger than a pencil comming out of your speedometer. If there is one there you have a cable type unit and the internal cable is frayed, ready to be replaced, may even be broken and only grabs when you get to higher speeds. Trace the cable to the drive source where you can disconnect it, usually at the side of the transmission but not allways. Get a replacement cable, grease it, and insert it until it 'seats' into the speedometer. Reattach the drive source and keep the shiny side up.

4. kaji1

kaji1 Member

Check your motor/transmission mounts.

I have this problem with my old truck (78 Ford) and mine is caused by the tranny shifting, actions caused by torque.

IE; kick it into "passing gear" and it happens.

After 50 yrs of driving I don't use a speedo anyway so it dosent matter to me at all.

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

another problem that can be cable related is the "star" gear driving the cable on the transmission may be worn enough to not make contact, the cable can also be kinda stuck in side the sheathing, a proper lubing with wd 40 while off and using a drill to get it spinning will sometimes repair the cable for awhile...... ok that worked for me for 5 years opn an old chevy malibu.....

And it could be cheaper to replace the cable than to mess with it and replace it later to.

William

6. Larburlingame

Larburlingame Well-Known Member

I had the same problem in a corvair pick-up truck. THe speedmeter cable needed grease.