Spectera Vision coverage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Anyone have Spectera as a provider of their vision coverage from their employer? We have been offered this plan and I was wondering if it is worth having.

2. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Total up your premiums (if pre-tax don't forget to subtract the tax savings from the premium total). Then determine your vision needs for the benefit year. Total up what the plan will pay (my insurance, not Spectera) up to $130 for lenses every other year, up to $130 for frames every other year (plus 20% off out of pocket costs). $10 co-pay for exam, $25 co-pay for glasses. Costs me about $17 per month (after tax savings), $204 a year. Spouse needs glasses next year, daughter will need contacts. Younger daughter may need new glasses, I may need reading glasses. I did not have vision in 2005 but will take it in 2006.

3. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

We just got this insurance, havent used it yet. I got it because 4 of the 6 of us wear glasses, that is a chunk of money every few years!
    for the small copay, and small monthly payment, it is way worth it. Others at work highly recommended this, so I am ready to test it out! But, that will happen in Jan...

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

If I take it coverage will start in Jan. Three out of 4 in family wear glasses or contacts and of course we all want eye exams. Coverage is $10 copay on exam every year and $25 on lenses every year, 2 years on frames. It will cost me $4 a week pre tax.

5. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

If you can live within the dollar limits for frames and lenses, you should come out ok. One way to save (some) money on frames is to look in the kids section.