Special things you do with your spouse/significant other when you have to be apart?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Jan 15, 2007.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

No, not that :D LOL! Just kidding :)

Hubby and I had to be apart 3 months when we were newlyweds when I awaited my legal status to live in Finland. We switched weddings rings at the airport and we pledged we'd have to come back and find our original bands :D Lord I cried like a banshee all the way home :Bawling:

We also switched rings again when Hubby went to his army games for a week. The cellphone ran out of battery so I didn't hear from him for a week. I got scared something bad had happened. Thank God he didn't go a year or two later, there was a terrible accident where people lost their lives :(

What special things do you do when you're about to be away for a long period of time?

Kat

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

When my husband has to go away on business trips I put little "love notes" in his suitcase, in his folded clothes. We also e-mail a lot and send pictures of what we are doing. We also have a webcam so the kids can talk and see him at the same time. If he's going to be gone over 2 weeks I let the kids draw pictures and we send a package to his hotel.

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I had to do an "internship" and lived away from home for 6 months.

We both needed to get up about about 5:30 in the morning.

I'd call "home" every morning about 5:40------let the phone ring TWICE and then hang up.

He'd call me back----let the phone ring TWICE and hang up.

It was our way of saying "Good Morning" without needing to pay for a phone call.

Of coarse, IF more communication was needed, a third ring meant "pick up the phone, there's more to say!"

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

When I was away at college when we were engaged, we had a certain time of day that we promised to think of each other. It was sort of a mental connection moment. I feel for those of you who are apart. I can barely make it through the work day without him!

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I sa goodnight out loud to my family, whether they are at home or not. They know about it, but I don't know if the say goodnight back.

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we fooled around a lot!

7. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We pay really big phone bills. But we also talk for hours every day. :D

8. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

we are never aprt longer than 2 weeks when she goes to NC to visit her family. We talk on the phone a few tiimes per day.

We even talk on the phone a couple times per day when we are working opposite shifts.

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

DH is such a home body--he could make 3x the money he makes working local, than he would if he went on the road but he loves to be at home at night! He co-workers give him a hard time about it but he doesn't care... dd #1 says he has separation anxiety! Because after leaving the house even if it is just to run errands ---1/2 the time he comes back home for something he forgot and the other 1/2 he will call before he gets to the highway. IF we have to be apart we call every day--before we get out of bed and everynight before we go to sleep.

10. via media

via media Tub-thumper

We chat online using an instant message program.

/VM

11. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.. . .

12. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

LOL, my dad says the same thing when I harass him too long :D lol

Just caught me offguard to see that LOL!

Kat

13. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

When I leave for a trip I will usually find a card that my wife slid into my suitcase.

On one long trip I got to hotel and found a bag of chocolate kisses in briefcase.

Once she took a "special pic" of herself, with a note to hurry home. I drove home nonstop.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

The only time my dh and I have been apart in the past ten years was a couple of weeks when he had to return to Canada and I was unable to go with him.

During that short period of time, he called me several times a day. Also, during that time I learned a song on the piano so that I could play it for him when he returned. It gave me something to do in the wee hours of the morning instead of being lonely and missing him.

I am fortunate that we can spend all of our time together, and hopefully, I won't have to be without him ever again.

Donsgal

15. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

My hubby and I are apart a lot, since he's military. He's been in almost 29 years (they'll make him get out soon!) He's been gone an average of six months out every year. More since 911.

We do lots of phone calls, emails and such. In fact, I told my hubby when he called today that we actually spend more time talking when he's gone than we do when he's here. We're usually just doing when he's home...stringing fence, building something...but doing and not so much talking since we bought this place three years ago. We used to talk more! Today I told him that from now on we were going to have to make 'talking appointments' every day, to stay in the habit.

The other thing we do is every time he's leaving I tell him I'll be there when he gets back...no matter when it is. And he tells me he's coming home...no matter what.

16. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    When my husband has to be away for a while, we take communion together, and we pray as a family before he leaves. It just seems to help us both. I honestly am too busy in the day to day to sit around pining for him, so our phone calls aren't several times a day.

BUT working the job he does he is often gone for 15 hours a day, This last month has been 6 days a week....so I feel like he may as well be gone away on a far away trip. :) We IM back and forth through the day when we have a second here and there.

17. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I sleep on his side of the bed until he gets home. I also talk out loud to the dogs about him; such as, "hey look, JJ! Won't Daddy like to see how big the foal has grown when he comes home?". Or, "Nina, eat your dinner; I know I don't mix it like Daddy, but he'll be home soon."

In lieu of children, the dogs help me because it's so obvious they miss him, too!