Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I love all my dogs, and I won't play favorites, but . . . I feel a special bond with Jasper. I just 'connect' with him. I understand him and always feel like defending him when somebody makes a comment about how he has too much energy/jumps/etc. He's such a sweet dog, and so full of personality. The perfect size to be able to really play with, but not too big to pick up if you need to weigh him or have on your lap. He's about the size of a border collie, just a bit smaller. He's a beautiful golden color, and a mutt from a shelter. We got him last year, and he's estimated to be about three years old right now. He's super sweet, always willing for hugs and attention, and he's not a licker so when he does lick you it's an extra special treat that means he loves you very, very much. He hates it when we aren't home and jumps up on us as soon as we are, and loves to be where the action is. We originally wanted to stay in a few designated rooms, but he just has to be where all the people are. Once in a while he'll get so energetic he just runs around, jumps on things and people, barking and he just can't stop, but when he does we take him outside for a walk. He loves playing tug of war with his cloth Frisbee, his purple squeaky thing, and his rubber thing. If he can't find those, he'll play with a sock, a shoe, a shirt, a paper towel -- whatever's around. He doesn't need a dog bed -- he'll sleep wherever he's allowed, especially a bedroom floor or a couch. We don't mind his hair, even though he does shed a considerable amount. He's really just the best dog!

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
Looks cute and energetic is not a problem, but jumping up on people can be a major major problem.
I'd stop that behavior quick were he mine. Be prepared to have people stop coming to your house because of it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mnn2051 -- he gets way too excited with new people, so we always put him in a different room when people come over. Also, we are working on the jumping; he's just not very good at it yet. ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor Jasper! We just got back from the vet. I noticed his face was swelled up and he'd been having diarrhea, so we called the vet. They said it was an allergic reaction to something and to give him Benadryl. So we did and it didn't help. We drove him to the vet and they gave him some other medications and gave us a prescription to give him for the next few days. Apparently, he probably ate a spider and it bit him or something. The swelling is down though!

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Poor Jasper! We just got back from the vet. I noticed his face was swelled up and he'd been having diarrhea, so we called the vet. They said it was an allergic reaction to something and to give him Benadryl. So we did and it didn't help. We drove him to the vet and they gave him some other medications and gave us a prescription to give him for the next few days. Apparently, he probably ate a spider and it bit him or something. The swelling is down though!
Poor Jasper:-(. Several times I have dealt with one of my dogs being stung or bitten in the face. The only thing I worry much about is their breathing, keep a close eye on Jaspers! Airways can swell and cut off breathing...

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
Just a personal story about an excited energetic dog:
We were on vacation and went to visit friends in FL. They had a dog that could not hold still no matter what, jumped on people, literally tore a blanket to shreds the first hour we were there, ran around like a crazy dog, jumped from one person to another.

I got its attention and it jumped up on me on the couch and tried licking me, jumping around etc. I clamped my arm around him and held him in place and gently talked to him, petted him with my hand while maintaining an iron hold with my arm. Within a few minutes he calmed down and lay quietly on my lap. I kept praising him when he was quiet, and loosened up my grip a bit. When he started getting excited again I would clamp down and get his attention until he calmed down again. I never did anything but hold him and talk to him and rub him

The owners were amazed, they had never seen him be still unless he was sleeping. They were calling me the dog whisperer by the time we left.

Sometimes it takes a firm hand. I just let him know I was the Alpha and refused to let him continue with his unruly behavior. Unfortunately we hear he retook his spot as the Alpha in the family after we left, since the owners did not.

Your mileage may vary.

T

·
0 Posts
We rescue notoriously hard-headed dogs. A lot of time, the trick is to stop what you're doing and make eye contact until the dog stops the behaviour. Sometimes, I actually need to grab a collar and command attention. Sometimes, clapping will startle them into attention to my command. A strong-willed dog is not for the easily-distracted owner... (Easier said, than done! I know!!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts