Speaking of wood stoves....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Oct 22, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We just got one, a Fisher Honey Bear model. Its standing on sort of a platform instead of legs, and the plate on the side says its approved for mobile homes(it didn't come out of one). It hasn't been used in I know a good 5 1/2 years. A friend of ours from high school bought a house with it installed just after thier son was born and they never used it. He just started k this yr and the stove has been sitting in the garage for at least a yr. The front has double glass doors and the "rope"(?) around the inside of the doors and fire brick appear to be in good shape. It has some rust, tho. there are 2 large circles on the top, some rust in the flue and some along the inside wall. The plate also gives clearence and other requirements and lists the UL rating, along with the model number. Anything special I need to know about her before we make a hole for the pipes? Should I replace the brick, after it has sat for so long? How about that "rope"? I was looking for an ash pan and so far havent found one. The plate also says "manufactured by enduron corp" and of coarse, I can't find a link to them.

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Nope no need to replace anything as long as its good.The rope is actually fiber glass material.If it is loose or missing any, you can buy it at hard ware stores.But if it isn't loose don't mess with it.It hard to get the replacement stuff to stay stuck. ;) Its just supposed to keep smoke from leaking around the door.

Hum no ash pan? I'm not familiar with these stoves maybe some one else is.I can how ever say i have used a stove one time that didn't have an ash pan(but it was supposed to).I just shoveled the ashes out of the bottom rather than being able to pull the pan and dump.

Good luck!

3. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

I had a papa bear that was on legs and no ash pan , but no fan to cirulate the heat. I replaced it with a fisher fire place insert with a fan.It has no ash pan either , but will heat 1500 square foot house.

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We have a Fisher stove but we are not sure of the model-it has two iron doors and pine trees and fisher cast into the doors.also has two knobs to allow in air...

Any idea what model this is?

Also it has no ash pan OR fan,where did you get your insert from Ole Man Legrand???

5. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

We have a Vermont Castings stove and it does have an ash pan that pulls out. We have had a stove without and ashpan and all we had to do was shovel out the ashes. Sometimes with the ash pan I am more apt to spill some but either way it isn't a big deal. I am sure your stove will work fine.

RenieB

6. almostthere

OZ:

you probably wont read this in time, but theres a fisher wood stove insert on ebay right now. Item number: 5927859661

7. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Our house has a fireplace in the family room. It used to have a wood stove there. (There is a metal piece portecting the wood mantel and the flue is gone!)

Do you guys recommend a fireplace insert over a wood stove?

We have a large slate in front of the fireplace and the fireplace is up of the floor, if that matters :confused: .

Thx!
    Deb

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We got a Fisher (exact model as described by OzinSC) freecycling about 6 weeka ago. This thing is so hot it is hard to stay in the living room with it. As I type the outside static air temp is 31. The house was 61 when we got home and lit the stove. Now about 2 hours later the living room is 89.9 degrees and climbing. The damper is almost fully closed as are the front knobs but it is still cooking along. We'll be warm this year for sure :)

On a side note our propane guy was a little unhappy when I stopped by and took us off the route fill list and got onto the will call list :waa: I don't think we'll be using him much anymore ... and with propane at $1.98 gal I am darn glad.

9. almostthere

I hope ours works like that. The hvac is only 3.5 yrs old(went out when ds was a month old, in Jan. no less) but takes a lot to run it. We don't have a fireplace, we'll have to go thru the roof. We'll need to invest in some fans tho...took all but one ceiling fan down already.

10. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Because I have a real bad thing for cutting holes in my roof I decided to go this route.

Stove goes up then to a 90 towards the wall, where it turns into triple wall insulated (Supervent Brand).

I took out the upper pane of glass out of a double hung window then used Wonderboard and steel 2x6’s to close off the opening.

Then I ran the triple wall through an air thimble and out the wonder board.

Outside there is a T connector that has pipe going up forming the chimney and down forming a base that terminates onto a ¾ “ piece of Wonderboard.

The pipes have yet to get hot (except for the chimney which is expected) and it saved a hole through the roof.

And on top for a rain cap I put another T horizontal that has small mesh wire on both ends.

Approximate prices: 36” triple wall was $89, the 8” black pipe totaled $35, the T’s were $8 each and the 90 was $8. WELL WORTH NOT HAVING TO CUT A HOLE AND RISK WATER DAMAGE

11. almostthere

I understand your point on the water damage possibility. Dh deals a lot with installing stuff on rooftops so I have to trust he knows how not to do it. This section of the house is actually a porch that was fully encolsed by a previous owner. That room is on a slab, is ice cold during the winter no matter what we do, and we felt the safest place to put the woodburner. Thanks for your directions tho, I will keep them in mind if he starts to think the rooftop venting won't work. He probably won't be able to install for another week, when we get some helpers up here.

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Fisher stoves were just great!! I really coveted one when I lived in WA state. But then the county or the state required some kind of device to cut down on the smoke emitted, and required all new stoves to be so fitted. I understood that the company that made the Fisher went out of business as a result of this gov't reg.

---S-I-G-H---

Sandi

13. compsmith2001

compsmith2001 New Member

Fisher Stove Works
    Factoryville, PA
    570-836-3343