Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between last night and this morning, someone stole a big rocker off our front porch!! :flame: I had rescued it from a junk pile years ago and wove a new seat and back for it. Then the cats tore up the weaving and I had to put cushions on it. It was a big one like they sell at Cracker Barrel. Whoever took it had to have had a vehicle to put it in because it's very heavy. It was a favorite spot for my old kitty to sleep so hopefully whoever sits in it will get some fleas!! :flame: Tonight we'll have to bring in the other rocker in until DH can get some chain to attach it to the floor. He also has to make sure the hooks on the windchimes are completely bent over. It certainly is a shame that someone could be so low!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's awful! It's a shame that you have to start chaining up your furniture. Do you live in the city? Or is your home out in the country?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cresindo - we are in a small town of about 7500. Not rural but definately not big city.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's a shame. I wonder if the thief is someone who lives on your same route. Someone who admired your chair when passing by.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When we lived in Philly we had a beautiful and expensive shell windchime stolen off of the front porch. About two years later, DW went to a new friends house and guess what they had -- she asked where they bought it and they had gotten it at a local flea market about 18 months previous. A little later we had some folding chairs stolen (for their aluminum scrap value) and a few plants. The police caught the guys with the plants -- they would steal them on a few blocks and then set up nearby in a store parking lot and sell them to other people. Our plants had already been sold but we wonder if they were the same ones who got the wind chime and sold it for us!

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
morrowsmowers said:
When we lived in Philly we had a beautiful and expensive shell windchime stolen off of the front porch. About two years later, DW went to a new friends house and guess what they had -- she asked where they bought it and they had gotten it at a local flea market about 18 months previous. A little later we had some folding chairs stolen (for their aluminum scrap value) and a few plants. The police caught the guys with the plants -- they would steal them on a few blocks and then set up nearby in a store parking lot and sell them to other people. Our plants had already been sold but we wonder if they were the same ones who got the wind chime and sold it for us!

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)
Plants are what usually get stolen around here. That and flags!! This kind of thing is why I always remind DH to make sure the garage is locked at night. I would hate to lose the lawnmower, snow blower, or any of our garden tools!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
we had a neighbor who was "cooking"...supposedly he didnt have gas in his house and heated/cooked with propane....many people in town were coming up with lost bottles from the BBQ grills.....the house next door is like 500ft from our yard...we had a grill in ou8r backyard...never lost our bottle....man 'Crazy Steve' hated our dogs....he once told me that the dang dogs start barking the minute he stepped out of his front door....

that summer he mowed just a path to the 'unused' shed.....he was soooooo cooking drugs...couldnt catch him they said

when he moved and the next neighbor was cleaning to move in there were at least 15 small propane bottles in the house

we dont have a prob with things walking off here......though it is getting worse with the riffraff that has been moving in....nobody wants to mess with the dogs I guess...on my block alone there are 9 large dogs.....the neighbor on the corner across the street has 2, I am on the corner and have 3, and the couple across the street and down 2 houses own the house between theirs and the one directly across from me...they have 4 large dogs that have the run of that yard....get one barking and the all start!

Rachel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts