My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home. We are quite excited. We will have a small place--only one acre but perfect for us. Because of the loan situation and the way the did it--the house had to be appraised for about $10K more than the asking price so we could use the equity as the down payment, closing costs etc.... Well the house actually appraised at $17K more than the asking price. Of course now the seller is mad and is not wanting to sell us the house even though we have a contract on it. We are even paying the survey because he didn't want to pay that--so he could get out of the contract. To say the least my stomach is knots 24/7. My question---if we get to the table and he decides not to sign---does any one knows what happens then? Is he required to give us back the survey and apprasial $$? I know we get the escrow $$ back. Do I need to get a lawyer for "just in case." My husband and I have discussed it and we are willing to go to court if needed to recover our costs. *sigh* Any one wanna give me hope?