Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I went out and trimmed this last weekend. One of my girls has a hoof that grows inward in a sort of curve and under the other side.
I try to keep this trimmed out, but it persists and I guess I am a bit nervous about trimming too much out. Do you think there is any way to get this straightened out? How often is acceptable to trim? I pretty much have just been doing it when needed, but they sorta got away from me this last time.
I also read somewhere that trimming was recommended twice a year. Dont think I could wait 6 months. I seem to be trimming every 6 weeks or so.
And, naturally the girl with the hardest to trim hoof is the worst behaved. Takes 2 of us to hold her and trim.
I guess the bottom line is, do you think I need to trim her every week? Or, do I need to resign myself to her having one hoof that is slightly crooked and just keep it in line as much as possible?

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
I would think a crooked hoof would be hard on the joints.

Could you rig up some kind of play toy with a rough surface for her to play on to grind down the hoof.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
We trim at least every 4 weeks or so. When you first start it is easy to not cut enough. You can keep going until you see pink. The first time you draw blood (and it will happen eventually - try not to worry too much) you wil know how far is too far. I think you could probably cut more than what you are doing now...just a guess.

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
My first sheep had less than wonderful feet - oh well, live and learn- I was trimming them every month at the third quarter moon. Seems to be a good time for pruning and at the least kept me on a schedule. LOL. After 6 months or so, they were so improved that I could have months between trimming, but everyone is different, some goats or sheep need more trimming, more often than others. You might also use a shurform file (looks like a cheese grater, from hardware store) at the end to flatten the surface out more - if it's growing inward maybe you are leaving other areas too high?

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I bet I could trim more. I go far enough to see the white tender looking stuff and stop. (I'm a chicken!) It almost looks straight when I get done, guess I just need to go a little further. I hate the thought of drawing blood! Her feet were overgrown when I got her, and I just have not gotten it normal yet. We have lots of rocks out in the pen, so I would think she has plenty of opportunity to wear them down, but maybe not.
Thnx - I think I will trim more often for awhile.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I am smiling reading this - I stopped at the white part, too. Keep going! There is actually a fair bit of the white stuff. If, after you see white you do just a tiny bit more at a time until you see pink , you'll realize how much.

My husband actually does the trimming, and when I'm there I always backseat drive with a huge gasp when I see some of the cuts he lines up - but he has only ever drawn blood once--and that was when the goat moved.

·
le person
6,241 Posts
Also, put a bevel on the inside wall(the bevel needs to start inside the wall by a 1/8 of an inch or so). So that the edge it is cut at an angle. This will help keep the new growth from getting pulled outward from the foot.

And yea, I trim mine about once a month, sometimes more often. Their feet really grow fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.