Speaking of dogs... how does this sound for a mix?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Xandras_Zoo, May 19, 2005.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Well, I found the cutest little rescue pup-http://www.bcbordercollies.com/individual/kili.htm

She's a Border Collie/ Great Pyrenees. The best herding dog and the best LGD (to my knowledge, anyways). They estimate over she'll weigh 60lbs. Just as long as she doesn't break the 80lb mark, that should be fine. AND she came from a ranch (however crappy and irresponable it may have been)
    But would a BC/GP make a good mix? What are you experiences with these breeds?

PS. We need a working dog board!

2. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

I think it doesn't get any better than that.

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Can be a great mix, or can be a horrible one. I've known one that was AWFUL- bordercollie nerves, very mouthy, and pyr protectiveness. An accident waitign to happen. I've also known one that was an incredible dog- smart, calm, guardy AND a good herding dog, although worked more like an es- more upright, less eye than most of the BCs I've known.

As long as she's screened through rescue for temperament, I think you'd be fine. I *do* think there's a possibility she'll go over 80 pounds, but it's probably a small one.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) When you get a mix of anything it is catch as catch can. You don't know what traits are going to be passed on and what will not. Also, there is frequently extreme shyness in border collie crosses that aren't seen so much in the pure bred dog of this breed.

So, since you took the chance just do your level best to spend a whole lot of time with her..Train her well, lots of love and time, time, time. The more time and training you invest in her now the more it will pay off in the long run.

Have fun, I bet she is cute as all get out! LOL

LQ

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Might she have potential as a LGD? Or would you say she's more influenced by the border collie?

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Watch how she relates to the animals as she matures. If she has the upright, bossy style of an English Shepherd, then she should guard the stock as well. She'll be friendly with it as long as it's behaving. If she has the crouchy, predator style of a Border Collie, then I wouldn't bet on an LGD type personality. Strictly a herding dog. This advice is all based on my limited experience, of course, and worth every dime you paid for it! :haha:

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My sister has a cross like this. Shelby definitely falls more on the LGD side of the spectrum. She really is a great dog. She's gonna be huge, though - at 6 months, she's at 50 lbs.

There's really no way to tell if your cross will be more herding dog or LGD. It all depends on her particular gene cocktail and on how you handle and train her. Part of taking in a cross is giving up the predictability of a proven breed.