Speaking of basil...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kesoaps, Oct 16, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'd love to save my basil seeds, but have a dickens of a time getting them to grow in the spring... :shrug: Any tips for those of us who are growing challenged?

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Are you direct sowing them, or starting them indoors?

I started some indoors in the little six-pack plastic things, with a seed starting mixture (not soil) and they did fine. If you're direct sowing, I'd suspect the soil isn't warm enough and the seeds rot or mold or get eaten before the soil temps warm up, or perhaps something in the soil is adversely affecting your germinating seeds or seedlings.

If you're starting indoors, in sterile containers with seed starting mixture, I'm not sure what the problem might be.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've done both. A couple folks in the area told me they're difficult to start, but perhaps they just needed more indoor time? :shrug:

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

In recent years, we start all of our basil outside. If started early inside, it's often a battle to keep the plants from going to seed before the tomatoes are ripe. I fill a large flowerpot with damp potting soil and sprinkle the seeds on top. Then just a light covering of soil over the seeds. Finally, clear plastic over the top of the pot and held in place with a rubber band. In about a week you've got plants.

Martin