spanking bill proposed in California

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by vtfarma, Jan 22, 2007.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Well, I was making breakfast this morning and the news was on. It seems that California has proposed a bill (a woman by the name of Leiber I believe) that would make it illegal to spank a child younger than 3.

What are everyones thoughts on this? I was swatted when I was growing up. Not abused, a hand across the bottom. I also did the same to my children as a last resort or as a knee jerk reaction to the wet finger in the light socket (I slapped her hand away and cried, she was 11 months old and we sat there crying together).

I have the distinct feeling that the government is way to involved in my life already. What with having to prove that my son is alive to get his insurance (which he has had since he was born in 92) and proving that Dad is a citizen even though he has served in the guard, pays taxes and is a native vermonter. This patriot act thing is well hated here in our house. but that is another crabbing issue. California, imo, is opening a kettle of worms. The parent can go to jail for a year and/or a $10,000 fine! Yep, that helps those kids and families. They did say that there would be mandatory parenting/anger management classes.

2. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

I could say a lot of really unkind things about California right now, but I won't because there are some fine people on here that live there.

Legally, children belong to the state they live in, whether we want to think about that horrible fact or not. This is a travesty, and we, as a country, are sliding ever faster into the mire of moral degeneration. Just my opinion, but it seems to be a popular one with just about every person I know.

People that abuse their children are evil monsters.

People that don't discipline thier children are almost worse. I feel that lack of discipline IS a form of child abuse, as well.

I hardly ever had to use physical force at any time to discipline my son. But, having that threat available and being legally able to back it up when necessary was golden in the early times of raising him.

I think parents should have the right to choose how they want to punish thier children. The vast majority that use physicality do so with love and restraint that has good long-term results.

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sheeesh, just think what they would do if you slapped a 3 month old baby on the face!!!! (just for the record it was just a 2 finger tap on the cheek and the little brat had just bit me for the 10th time while I was nursing him) I swatted my kids before they were 3 and believe me it isn't that I hurt them that caused them to cry because they don't feel much through a diaper. They got a swat if they would not listen or they put themselves in danger. You have to do what you have to do to protect them and sometimes the sound of a hand hitting that diaper is the only thing that makes them stop.

BTW, how do you reason with a 2 year old??????

Soon it will be illegal to ground your kids or put them in time-out if they misbehave.

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you notice that the lady that proposed the bill didnt have children? only a cat--that the vet had advised her NOT to spank!!
    I've spanked my kids--and my grandkids--and would my great-grandkids, if they needed it--as i will my cat or my dog--or my horse--or-get the idea?
    a few swats is a spanking-- the beatings-THAT i would intefere with-

5. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

California has a ton of laws on the books that make no sense to the rest of us.... 2 of the ones I remember... It is illegal to own a ferret in California. You can't run your generator in a state campground from 10 pm to 8 am......too bad if you wake up at 5:00 am and want a cup of joe...!

And this one about the spanking just begs for someone to look at all the other things they've tried to 'fix' by making a law about it! I agree about there being way too many laws on the books, too many people trying to be too politically 'correct' and too many law suits. California isn't alone on this but this is one case where they've gone over the edge. Geesh! :nono:

6. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

that's why kids today feel empowered to call CPS or the cops when things just don't go their way...it's rediculous.

And you can't reason with a child...they just don't have that skill yet so a spanking, redirection, sharp no's are what is needed.

I agree that 'parents' who don't actually parent their children are sometimes worse than those that abuse...

7. Sumer

Sumer Well-Known Member

If this is true , well it explains a lot.
    The lady should do some babysitting or something. Im sure some overtired overwhelmed mother of a 2 1/2 year old needs a break somewheres and could do the State a favor and volenteer to help this woman understand reality for a few hours.
    It sounds like she is trying to prevent child abuse. Im not from California but I betcha there are already laws there about child abuse.

8. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Most of the (few) spankings our four children received were before three. And all of them were done around seven. Those are the years where it does the most good as far as teaching right behavior and right thinking.

9. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

The state is already to involved. It is already illegal to abuse a child. As for having to many laws on the books, I have thought for years that we should form a grassroots movement to get one more new law on all state and federal books. It is very simple... You can only make a new law if you get rid of 2 old one. If every branch of government did that for 2-4 years we could reduce government and clean up some of the mess we have.

Maybe I will start a website.

10. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Yet another reason I don't go out in public much. When I am home I can discipline my children without worrying about who is watching or going to call CPS on me. I had a friend that lost her 11 kids for over a year because one of them got mad at his dad & called CPS & told a bunch of lies. They split the kids up into 5 different foster homes & it took them over a year of jumping through a million hoops to get them back. They now have to watch everything they do because they know they are still walking on thin ice & being watched.

I am in no way saying that beating your child is right, but spankings are not bad. I get tired of the people that say if you use violence on a kid they will grow up being violent. First off, I do not think spanking is being violent. Second, I have spanked all of my kids & they never hit each other or anyone else.

If a child is covered with bruises repeatedly, then yes, it should be investigated. However, my kids have bruises quite often just form being kids. Kids play, they fall down & get hurt. Next we won't be allowed to let them play.

11. vtfarma

My children both at one point in there lives wanted to call SRS (our social services) because I was making them do their homework. I gave them the number and the phone and told them to have at it. I also explained that they would not get very far. Homework was not considered abuse yet in Vermont - maybe California but not here yet.

12. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I'm one of those nutcases who does not believe inflicking pain on another person is a lesson to anything but how to inflick pain on another person. I however, would vote no on such a state law.

Marlene

13. Goatsandsheep

Goatsandsheep Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of California thinks this lady's nuts too.

14. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Spankings for children are like guardrails on the road of their young lives. Running into the guardrails might hurt, but not as much as the alternative. (plunging headlong into the abyss of an undisciplined life.)

And spankings in the context of a healthy, loving parenthood actually draw the parents and the children closer.

Plus, if you spank before they're three, you normally won't have to do it much after that.

I'm not advocating caning your infant when it spits up on you - I'm saying that no child can learn to lead himself and others until he has learned the art of submission.

15. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Spanking in the privacy of your own home? Who on earth would be so silly as to pass a law? Who will enforce it? WHY would you enforce it?

*Genearlly speaking* kids these daysneed more discapline, not less! Egads.

Totaly silliness is all that is.

Pat

16. vtfarma

17. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Good kids (and responsible adults) can be raised without being spanked, slapped, whacked, hit, or whatever you want to call it (mine). Smacking a child's hand away from a boiling pan handle or swatting a child's well padded diapered bottom to get his attention are obviously not in question. When "spanking" is treated as a tenent to a religion, or when the bible is used as an excuse not to seek other parenting methods, then maybe the state should mandate it. Look at all the fools who think driving a motorcycle without a helmet, or driving in a car without a seatbelt are "okay". Sure, you do it all the time and you don't get hurt... that doesn't make it the best policy. We didn't wear bike helmets growing up, we turned out okay, right? Well, except for the ones who died of head injuries...Same with spanking. It's pretty funny how everyone gets all offended and thinks the gov't shouldn't be involved in their life.. unless it's something that doesn't go with their belief system, then it's okay (re: gay marriage). Spanking isn't part of my belief system. However, it's unlikely a law like this will be passed. Arnold likes it though. And anything that sheds a little light on a nasty little secret in so many home is good. If one kid isn't whipped into unnecessary submission and messed up for life - then the debate it worth it.

18. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Anyone have a link to the actual bill? I ran across this while looking for it thru google news search:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=12830

"A state lawmaker from the Bay Area who last week stirred a national debate on spanking children has another potentially controversial bill up her sleeve.

Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, wants to add serious sex offenses to the currently very short list of crimes that don't have statute of limitations.

Right now in California, only murder, embezzlement of public money and other crimes that are punishable by death or life in prison, qualify.

Lieber wants to add rape; sodomy; lewd or lascivious acts; oral copulation; continuous sexual abuse of a child; forcible acts of sexual penetration; and flight of a sex offender to avoid prosecution to the list of crimes that don't have expiration dates on when suspects can be charged, according to a draft of the bill.

But Lieber would not be the first state lawmaker to introduce such a measure. A similar bill by then-state Sen. Jackie Speier, D-Hillsborough, died an unceremonious death a year ago in the Senate Appropriations Committee's suspense file."

19. vtfarma

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/p...0jan20,0,2730931.story?coll=la-home-headlines

This was from the LA times. I saw the clip on NBC morning news (National). It still irks me to no end. I know the people who believe that no child should be spanked will always believe they are right as will the rest of us who believe this type of discipline is appropriate at times.

From experience, I saw my niece run from one end of a restaurant to another because the parents did not want to discipline her. It was bad for her. Well, she knocked people over, interrupted meals, was in danger of being burned, etc. You're right the child didn't need to be spanked here it was the parents! She was out of control most of the time and a very unpleasant little one to be around. Not good. When she was with me alone I made her behave, a small swat on the butt had to happen once or twice when she was in danger but no other time. She got so she loved being with me because she knew her boundaries were enforced. Our kids got a swat on the bum a few times, not abuse, just a wake up call.

Hopefully the link above helps. I cannot see this passing anywhere, lets hope not anyway.

20. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

California needs the same fix that the whole country needs. Citizen committees need to be formed to go thru the law books and eliminate the stupid laws. The committees could be formed much the way juries are done. Each person could serve for a week or two and do it in a round robin system so everyone serves a term, repeated as necessary until the law books are cleaned up. It would take a long time, but eventually the garbage laws would be disposed of. Any new laws should be voted on before they can be enacted. The government officials have demonstrated that they are incapable of handling the responsibility of passing responsible laws so that privilege should be given to the general public in the form of a vote.