Spaghetti Squash

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jack in VA, May 12, 2004.

1. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Gonna grow some this year. Does anyone know the growing habits of these?
    Are they compact , like Zuchinni or ramble like pumkins? Do they put much fruit on each plant , do they keep well and should I stagger the plantings?..thanx..jack

2. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

they are more like pumpkins, sprawling. Alot of fruit per plant . Keep fairly well in dark, cold area. I wasnt as thrilled with the texture of the squash, but they taste great !!!! Staggering is a good idea.

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I plant them all at once, since they take quite awhile to ripen, and it doesn't matter that they ripen all at once. They will keep well on a shelf even here in the hot humid South for several months. The last few of mine from last year have just now begun to rot, with the hotter days coming on.
    Leave them on the vine until they are well ripened, and store them with a little air space between them(not touching.)
    To prepare, scoop out the seeds, then bake or microwave until somewhat tender. Scoop the flesh out with a spaghetti spoon, and it will come out like unto spaghetti. Good with butter or canned tomatoes, or sauce. I also chop it up to make a salad with pineapples and little marshmellows(like a frog-eye salad, with the squash instead of pasta.)
    Be prepared for very large, rambling plants. They need lots of room.
    mary

4. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

I grew mine up a fence last year, along with cantaloupes. The melons needed support, but the squash did just fine!!

BTW - if you have any spare seed you'd like to sell, I will take a few from you.... Dh tried to help out and froze all my seedlings....

Sue

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I have some extra if Jack doesn't. Was gonna put them in the round robin, but by the time folks get it, it will be too late for most to plant.

6. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

DH likes his baked in the oven with the middle filled with brown sugar and butter, but I prefer to nuke mine until barely tender and then saute it with lots of butter, garlic, onions, and green peppers. You can also prepare them ahead of time (microwave or oven), scoop out the strands and freeze them in batches if you find yourself with more than you can store. Works just fine.
    Heather

7. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Sorry it took so long to get back to you - didn't realize how well things would go at the market, lol.

I would love a few seeds, if either of you have spares... Will an SASE be ok??

I'll be out of town again starting Thursday, until Sunday... But can send before or after my little 'vacation', lol.

Sue

8. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

PM me your addy. I think I can swing the 37 cents :D

9. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Thanks for info......sorry , have no seeds left....jack

10. gita s.

gita s. Guest

SueD:

I am growing a bunch of spaghetti squash this year...I will be glad to send you some seeds.....just contact me this fall when they're ready.

Gita