Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any great spaghetti sauce recipes. I tried to make it for the first time last year and it ended up tasting more like salsa.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Any recipe book should give you a decent sauce. I usually use my own tomatoes from the garden and canned.. I'll take about 4 cans of paste and fry it until it begins to fall apart in olive oil. Take about 4 quarts of your tomatoes.. and mix with your paste...Let simmer slowly for a few hours..stirring constantly .Add your herbs..basil, oregano, onions and of coure garlic. salt and pepper..I just usually put "some" into the pot and keep tasting it adding more or less herbs. Add grated cheese..add you cooked meat during the few hours it is simmering. Add a couple good tablespoons of white sugar to it also. This will add a little sweetness to your sauce. Cook a little longer until it thickens to your likeness... isn't hard and you will learn to add a little or less of this and that...I will cook my meatballs in the oven because i don't like frying them..too messy..I'll also get spare ribs or even add chicken to my sauce too. .Oh ...yes...always have a loaf of fresh Italian bread to dip into your sauce while it is cooking...Enjoy !! (if you have a little red wine you can add a cup..more or less into your sauce too...)and then drink the rest of the bottle of wine with your dinner !!!

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
This makes a BIG batch, but it is GREAT!!

TSYORK'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE

1/2 bushel (4 gallons) ripe tomatoes, washed, cored and quartered.
You can put a few at a time in a food processer and pulse a few times.

Put in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and simmer for 3 hours.

Chop the following in a food processer and add to the pot:

3 lbs. of onions
2-3 heads (not cloves) of garlic
2-3 red bell peppers (or green, or a mixture), seeded and stemmed
4-6 jalepenoes (6-8 if you like it hot)
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
4-6 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
4 tablespoons dried oregano
4 Tablespoons dried basil
1/3 cup salt
2 jars mushrooms (optional)
4 Tablespoons dired parsley (this is Suitcase Sally's addition)

Cook until desired consistency.

If you want a meat sauce, (again, Sally's addition), brown 10 lbs. hamburger, drain and add to the mix. You may need two pots if you're going to add the meat.

Water bath pints for 15 minutes, quarts for 25 minutes.

If using just the optional mushrooms, pressure can at 45 minutes for pints, 90 minutes for quarts.

For the optional meat, pressure can a 10 lbs. pints, 75 minutes, quarts 90 minutes

·
Registered
244 Posts
We call this "THE spaghetti sauce" made exclusively from our home canned, preserved foods. Serves 3 adult sized appetites. 4 if you make a salad too!
1 pint canned burger (about 1 lb)
1/2 medium onion
1/2 green bell pepper
I rebrown to burger with the onions and peppers for 2 min in a little butter
Add 3 cloves minced garlic and sauté another minute or two.
Add 1 quart jar each halved and crushed tomatoes
1 4oz jar tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 T sugar (May need more at the very end)
1 t salt
Simmer for 1 hour with lid on, stirring occasionally and adding broth or water if necessary.
After first hour add-
1 1/2 T parsley flakes
1/4 c grated parmesan
Simmer another 15-30 minutes (it will wait for you) and fish out the bay leaf before serving.
Be sure to check flavor (especially sugar) when using home canned products as mine vary a lot depending on what part of the season they were canned in!

Please note- I do not can this recipe but it is excellent frozen. I usually make a quadruple batch as we love it so much.

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
1 lb ground beef (80/20 or 90/10)
1 lb ground pork
4 johnsonville sweet Italian sausages, out of casing.

Mix and brown.

Add 1 small onion
Tablespoon of thyme
1.5 C of big red wine (cabernet)

Cook until wine is reduced by 1/2

Add 1 small can of tomato paste
2 Quart jars of tomatoes, (NOT the juice) and squish the tomatoes.

Move all of this to a crock pot, on low for 6 hours.

mmmmmmmmmmm it's so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts