SP2 Install?? Did it cause problems?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................My SP2 disc is still waiting to be installed . I still don't have a feel as to whether <or> not I should do this install . Some people have had...NO... problems and Some have had ALL kinds of problems . I'm NOT a pooter guru and don't want to have to reload my XP operating system because I'm not smart enought to fix whatever problems may manifest themselves , After I install the SP2 disc . Anybody got a simple list of steps to prepare my computer Prior to the SP2 install ?? , thanks , fordy... :)

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

may be coincidence. i don't surf much. as soon as i installed it, i was overrun with popups and spam. one address was getting close to 50 a day. like they were just lurking and waitng for me to do it. had to have a reinstall done, lost lots of valuable information, addresses and links that could not be replaced, including having to pay all over again for some things i had bought.

not worth it.

3. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

Don't do it!!! Don't do it!!

It will cause so much grief that you want to throw your computer out and/or kick the crap out of it.

I didn't put it on my computer. I had a friend that put SP2 on and he called me over to help him. Basically we had to uninstall EVERYTHING and start from scratch. Talk about a headache!

Why don't you download Mozilla Firefox and use that as your browser.

4. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

NOPE! NADDA! ZIP! DON'T DO IT!

Get the picture?

It's so bad microsoft's own geniusus that made it are trying to figure out why it corrupts, and even locks up their puters!

It's a bad apple.

And if any of you use it and can't figure out why your computer isn't running right lately. There's the problem. Completely remove the program and reinstall SP1.

Good luck, but if you ask me, it's as junky as Donald Trump's hairpiece. :D

Ozarkguy

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to have online help to get my pc to load sp1. It absolutely refuses to install sp2. Apparently my computer is smarter than I am. :haha:

Nomad

6. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Why don't you download Mozilla Firefox and use that as your browser.[/QUOTE]

SP2 does nothing but cause problems !! Every one told me to not install it, but I didn't listen, I wish I had.
    I do use Mozilla and I love it, Thanks Jeannie

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I have had no problems with SP2. I have sooooo much spy and ad aware on my puter its not funny... www.avast.com I love that one and www.spysweeper.com is a good one too and I have window washer at www.webroot.com I think I have got all of em on here LOL Yahoo has a tool bar with spy stuff too...On these programs you can type what websites you want to NOT invade its kind of a pain but once you get them on its smooth sailing....It really used to scare me when avast found a virus this screen pops up and a sound WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP a virus is found on your computer then it asks what you want to do with it LOL I just dump it. Hope this helps a little if you install SP2 and it gives you fits take the dang thing out good luck. :D

8. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

You guys didn't by chance get the Georgia version, did you?

MICROSOFT NEWS RELEASE:
    It has come to our attention that a few copies
    of the Georgia edition of Windows XP may have
    accidentally been shipped outside Georgia. If
    you have one of the Georgia editions you may
    need some help understanding the commands.
    The Georgia edition may be recognized by
    looking at the opening screen.

It reads WINDERS XP with a background picture of BUBBA
    super imposed on a Confederate flag. It is shipped with
    a Daisy Duke screen saver.

Also note:
    Recycle Bin is abeled Outhouse
    My Computer is called This Infernal Contraption
    Dialup Networking is called Good Ol' Boys
    Control Panel is known as the Dern Dashboard
    Hard Drive is referred to as 4 wheel drive
    Floppies are them little ole plastic disc thangs.

Other features:
    Instead of an error message you get a winder covered with
    a garbage bag and duct tape.

OK = ats aww-right
    cancel = hail no
    reset = awa shoot
    yes = shore
    no = Naaaa
    find = hunt-fer it
    go to = over yonder
    back = back yonder
    help = hep me ot here
    stop = ternit off
    start = crank it up
    settings = sittins
    programs = stuff that does stuff
    documents = stuff I done done

Also note that winders XP does not recognize
    capital letters or punctuation marks.

We regret any inconvenience it may have caused if you received
    a copy of the Georgia edition. You may return it to Microsoft
    for a replacement version.

:haha:

9. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

There is a lot of software out there for free:

Spyware Guard
    No Adware
    Pop-up Stopper
    Ad-Ware SE--Personal
    Pop-Up Control Center

Zone Alarm makes a good firewall
    AVG is an anti-virus software and it's free!

There's StartPage Guard too.

Do a google search and you can find them.

Pretty much all of them will keep you safe.

10. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I didnt install it and I Wont install it.

11. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Just make sure you use XP's system restore feature if you do. It can cause conflicts with various drivers, and if it does give you grief, just restore to the point you created before installation. For more info on the various free spyware and malware programs, check out the computing forum.

Pam :cool: <---------- sees no real reason to install XP SP2, actually.

12. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

I did do service pack 1, but I refuse to install service pack 2. It keeps wanting to put I won't give it permission. Was told not to by a good computer friend. I just go to the dowload area and select what I think I need, and NOT SP2.

13. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My hard drive failed and I was recovering with a new one and was installing a legit version of xp pro and when I loaded sp2 it locked her down tighter than San Quentin. I was unable to salvage what I had previously loaded and had to reformat and start over. Real pia.

14. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Was extremely skeptical, but in the end relented to m$ (do you really think they'll recall sp2?)...and have not had ANY problems. I use Norton antivirus and zone labs integrity client for a firewall, so I disabled those sp2 'features'.

Still use IE6, tried firefox, very cool dev tools, but takes waaay to long to load (not to render pages, but to actually start (3.2gz,1g machine)) without a problem.

No problem with my other development tools or connecting to my network.

I think the skepticism is overblown, but I completely understand it. Sp2, at least in my experience, is not bad.

15. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I only use XP offline, but managed to misplace my XP cd last fall and the one I "found" and downloaded (took about 3 days straight with my slow dialup) off the internet to replace it had SP2 integrated so couldnt leave it off when installing. Unlike the update SP2, this version with SP2 integrated seemed to work just fine. If you have the older version of XP, wouldnt recommend the SP2 upgrade. Run firefox or opera or crazybrowser for a browser and calypso, theBat, or some other non-oe email client that you can set to download mail as text only and not automatically open attachments. Then you still need to do regular spyware scans and there are free virus programs. Still seems to me that XP is lot hassle to use on internet what with all the barnacle scraping required.

16. Ryan

Ryan Member

I agree with the recommendations to use Firefox & Thunderbird - but why not just go all the way and switch to Linux? I'm happier now with my Ubuntu Linux install than I was with XP. And think of the cost savings! A new version of OpenOffice = free. The same is true of tons of other programs. Why pay Microsoft $$$?

17. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Or even little old Puppy Linux as I mentioned in a previous thread:

[​IMG]

Hey, I just discovered Dia, a "vectoring program" built into Puppy. Who knew it worked as a pic resizer with a name like that? Easiest picture resizer I've run across. Really, truly, Puppy can do most of whatever average home pc user needs/wants to do. Not as absolutely idiot proof with all the eye candy as some of the bloatware distributions, but hey, they aint a "tiny" 50mb download either. By way I tend to prefer Sylpheed over Thunderbird or Evolution or number of other linux email clients. It loads nealy instantaneously, very efficient yet works with latest standards and is simple to set up. Thunderbird and Evolution are big with all the bells and whistles like OE. I like Dillo browser also which is very small and loads/surfs very fast, but alas its not as near developed as Firefox or Opera. Great thing is there are lots of choices.

18. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    My newer puter came with XP with Service Pak 2 installed and have had no problems with it, apparently anything in before SP 2 is affected but as to useing it at the start works well for me.

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I have installed it on 4 computers I own and never had a single problem. None. Zero.

Now epson scanner and printer software. ugh. I have had trouble with that crap no matter what os it is installed on. Should be classified as a virus.

20. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

HERMIT JOHN...if you still have slow dial-up, you can fix that. Go to google and search for a "modem string" for your modem. If you find one for your particular modum, you'll connect at 57.6 each and every time. Go into your hardware folder and see what brand-type the modem is, or if it's generic, put your computer name-model #, etc, into google, along with the words modem string. On my older E-Tower, the modem string was always AT&F, but I had to find a new one for the new E-Tower. I think I found it at restartoffice.com, but I'm not sure. There is a place for extra settings in your modem properties. Control Panel, Phone & Modems. Let me know if you need any help finding one.

Where I live, way out like this, the phone guys just laugh when I ask AGAIN about DSL. It'll never happen. No cable. So, I have a phone line just for the computer ($10 a month) and I can stay connected all day long at 57.6K on a 56K modem. I know it ain't a rocket to the moon, but it's the best us dial-ups can get. I have had MSN for 6 years, and the tech guys were the ones who taught me about modem strings. :)