Soybean spray?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mammabooh, Jul 25, 2005.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Anybody know of any funk that is killing animals in Ohio right now? The farmer recently sprayed the soybeans, so I'm figuring that's what's doing it. So far, there are three adult and one baby muscrat dead and two very sick groundhogs in the area (I shot and killed one of them this evening). This is all within three or four days. Any ideas?

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You have no idea, so you blame the farmer?

City slickers. Sheez.

--->Paul

3. mammabooh

Oh, you gotta be kidding...I am a farmer...come from generations of farmers and have over one hundred acres waiting for me when we move back to Ashland! However, I only have two acres right now. I just think it is awfully suspicious that some stuff is sprayed and then bunches of animals (that spend lots of time in the gully of the field) start ending up dead.

Anyone have some real answers for me? Perhaps some new spray that just came on the market?

P.S. I didn't call any of my family last night to ask this because I figured they were already in bed...since they are farmers.

4. mammabooh

Just talked to my dad. He said it was probably Round-up that got the muscrats. He wasn't sure about the groundhogs, but I know there are several groundhog holes in the field, so perhaps it's getting them too. While I'd prefer that to some wide-spread disease, I still don't want to be breathing that junk in or letting my chickens out there to suffer from it! And, now I would imagine that the pond and creek (which are created by run-off from the field) are toxic too. Just lovely.

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

It seem to be pretty late in the year to be spraying Round-Up in beans. Are his fields full of gorwing weeds? Round-Up would not be killing animals as you have described. If that was the case, there would be countless dead animals found over the years.

If it is indeed Round-Up, I would not worry about run off. Round-Up becomes inactive very quickly after application.

Have you had reports of rust in your area? If so, I would guess he/she was spraying fungicide.

If you are losing sleep, take one of the dead critters in for a Tox test.

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I just had my beans sprayed about 2 weeks ago. (about the only moisture they got)

Never noticed any dead or sick animals.

7. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

If you have any concerns with how a pesticide was used, contact you state department of agriculture. They will investigate. You can also call your local game and parks commission - they should be made aware of suspicious wildlife deaths.

8. mammabooh

I think I will do that. My neighbor (the one who owns the field but rents it out) is going to call the farmer and ask him about it too.

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Heres a funny thing Roundup was first invented for use as a water softener ingrediant and not for a Herbicide , go think about that as roundup most likely was not what killed the pests to begin with.

10. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Any word on what the cause of death was?

11. mammabooh

Nope...my neighbor already buried all the bodies...I suppose I could dig them up and take them somewhere to get tested.

I investigated last evening and it looks like just the perimeter of the field was sprayed. After it rained, the air over there smelled very metallic. Anyone know of anything that would make it smell that way?

The neighbor also noticed that all of the frogs and fish are gone, so something is going on!

I haven't asked the neighbor if she called the farmer...I imagine she'd tell me if she had.