sowing grass seed

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by billyj, Jun 8, 2006.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

I just finished putting in a camp ground on the property and with all the digging and stuff, I have some bare ground I will need to seed. Can I put down a fertilizer at the same time I sow the seed ,or do I need to wait until the grass comes up?
    I don't get down to the property that often and would be hard pressed to get back and fertilize later on. :shrug:

Thanks for your input.
    Billyj

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

yes you can . alotof times farmer mix the seed and fertilizer together so it will go threw the seeder better. some seeds may be sensitive to this but it is unlikly that grass seed would be

happy camping

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Don't use regular grass or lawn fertilizer. That will burn it as it germinates. You can use 5-10-5, or any fertilizer labeled as a starter lawn fertilizer. It will have a higher phosphorous to nitrogen ratio, which encourages root development. That will in turn get your grass growing on its own faster. Regular lawn fertilizers can be used after you've mowed the new grass three times, or according to the label on the bag. By then the grasses have hardened enough to not get burned by the higher nitrogen.

4. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Thanks much, much appreciated.