Sow won't breed

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by miller1911, Nov 2, 2004.

1. miller1911

miller1911 Active Member

I have sow who has had one litter and will not breed back. She has come into heat several times but will not stand for the boar. What should I do? She makes beautiful piglets.

2. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

If you may be near a facility where you can buy semen I would artificially inseminate her. If you know her heat cycle keep checking her early in the morning preferable before she wakes up as she will stand very strong when she wakes. Once you have detected heat get your semen and use it. Use your boar as a sniffer boar with a gate between the two of them.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

If she cant stand him...and you like her...time for a pig roast and a new boar

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

well... my two cents :)
    She ain't ready. My girls go into heat after litters like all the normal sows do but they ain't thrilled about the boar and I don't push them into breeding. They need time to replenish their fat stores, to dry up, to take a biological break. I give it to them. This time with 20 plus piglets being reared communally at one time, my sows took a four month break after normal weaning time (but they wean their own in their own time) and have only started to show interest in breeding in the past couple of weeks. They are glowing right now. Absolutely beautiful and ready. It is a pleasure to walk out there and look at these girls. I say- give her a couple of months break if you can. She'll let you know when she is ready and that boar will look fine and dandy to her then. :)

5. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Hi!
    If your sow won't breed, the only reason is that your boar isn't aggressive enough. If you put her in a small pen with a large, aggressive boar, he'll basically rape her. Bad analogy, but they do bully the sow until she gives in. I'd recommend penning them together in a smaller pen the next time she's in, and don't worry if he bites, butts or bullies her. It's the hoggish way of love-making. If she runs and fights the boar to the point of exhaustion, grind her for sausage and get another sow. The main thing is to make sure that the boar is bigger than she is. Dominance plays a role in the animal world, and large sows often don't "respect" small boars.
    Good luck!

6. miller1911

miller1911 Active Member

Thanks, I will try penning them up together the next time she comes into heat. I know it is not the boar because he has successful breed two other sows on the first try. One sow had a litter in late June and the other had hers in late August and breed three weeks after delivery and she is much larger than the boar by about two hundred pounds. The sow that won't breed had her litter in early June and all piglets were wenned in July.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

If there is nothing wrong with her, I'd think she'd be ready this time around. Good luck :)