Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had posted a few days ago about one of my piglets...

The sow had given birth to 6 last Saturday, and then Sunday passed an unusually large one that was DOA...Pretty sure the little guy got stuck...

I was told by someone who raised pigs to give her penicillin every other day for 4 days...been doing that...tomorrow is the last day...

On a different forum, I had posted that she was not eating...it was suggested to give her eggs...

Now she won't eat anything else...although today I did get her to eat a little bread soaked in goat milk and 2 days ago I have got her to also take a little yogurt too...

But she will NOT take her feed what so ever...all she wants is the darn eggs!

When I gave her more bread with milk...she tossed her pan against the fence, which the chickens happily cleaned up.

How do I get her to eat right again?

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Eggs are good. If her stomach is upset she may be limiting herself to the things that go down better. Like you I would also offer yogurt with some molasses or white sugar in it for energy and to repopulate her gut with good bacteria. Keep up the eggs. In time she should extend her diet.

-Walter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Walter, will do...right now as a matter of fact.

I was just getting worried as I was told to get her off as they will make her meat "soft" - not that we are planning to butcher any time soon...

We are starting to look for a new sow, something that will make a good cross with PB...but for now, Honey is our gal...

·
Registered
192 Posts
It would take a month or more for any food to really affect the meat like that. So don't sweat that at all. Give her what she wants. Apparently she worked really hard to get that last one out. You might want to try molasses -- I give it to my girls after they give birth as that is suppose to help with constipation. That could be a wild unsubstantiated rumor but they do like it and if nothing else it gives them some calories.

keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The person I got her from raised pigs for years...I explained her complications...that last one was about 3-4 times larger than the biggest piglet...by the time we found it, we were not sure if she passed all the after birth or not...

And her behavior had changed...she is not the friendliest pig...now she just wants me to pet and rub her down all the time...normally she would let me pet her head for a few minutes than move on...now she stands there expecting me to go on for ever...

And of course she wasn't eating anything nor drinking any water either...

So he said to go ahead and give her the pen, in case she was struggling to pass any after birth or what not...

She finally started drinking again after the first pen shot...so since I started the course, I figured I should finish it...

I will give the molasses a go...I never have luck with it tho...everyone says to give it goats too for this or that...and mine seem to hate it...but will give it a go with Honey...

She ate her eggs and most of the yogurt I gave her this morning...she really seems to want to be back with the boar...so maybe she is a little depressed from us taking the piglets...we really didn't have much of a choice...she kept dragging her bedding over the lip of her hut, so the babies were getting out...and she was throwing her water all over...so they were getting covered in mud...then a few days after she had them/we took them...it rained something awful...would have lost them in that...

Thanks ALL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts