Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have a hereford sow that had babies sept. 29th. She had 10. I weaned the piglets and just trasferred her to the pen beside her babies. I ordered semon monday. It came in the mail today. Most of the time i hear it will last 7 days in 60 degree temp. And averge 5 to 6 days after weaning she will come in heat. Will her piglets being right beside her in the next pen just seperated by hog wire affect the time she comes in heat. I got 2 doses of semon at 200$ a highly rated hereford boar so i dont really want it to go to waste if the piglets being beside her affects when she comes in heat or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am pretty sure it will influence when she will go into heat again. When we wean, we move the sow far enough away so that she can't see/hear/smell the piglets.

·
Registered
904 Posts
When I've weaned, the sow and piglets were in large areas, but still across a single fence from each other. It was 11 or 12 days before the sows came in heat. But that's just my experience.
Compared to horse semen, 7 days is a long time! I had no idea it was good that long. Sounds like you have some time to make adjustments, if you think it will help to move her away from them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts