Sow behavior?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by .netDude, Dec 7, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

I put this sow with the boar yesterday (her litter is 9 wks old, weaned at 6 wks), and she's had a really strange turn in attitude since. She's gotten VERY aggressive. Used to be one of the most friendly, now I can't get near her w/o her trying to run me down??? She's ripping apart hog panel stapled to hardwood. I don't understand why she would just change like this overnight. Any idea's why this happens? Could it be 'heat' related? Sybil?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Typical female, she is not ready and is playing hard to get!

3. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Really? I have the boar put away and she acts like she wants to take my leg off.

Kind of on that subject, when trying to determine when to put them with the boar, I just read that the back end gets red and puffy for about 4 days, then the most fertile time is within the next two days, not during those 4 days. Is that true? I though that from the red puffy stage, it was just 4 days from that, and that was it for the month?

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I am unfamiliar with the 4 day observation. Your observation of the redness and the swelling I am aware. When the sow will stand in the presence of the boar and if rather pet/tame will permit you to put weight on her back she should be ready. To get maximum number of pigs I let the boar mount multiple times. My opinion is that you will get additional pigs by letting the boar mount at 6 hours after the first service and again at a 2 hour intervals until the sow is no longer interested.