Southern Idaho Homesteading

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pennymac2003, Dec 30, 2006.

1. pennymac2003

pennymac2003 Member

ANyone out there homesteading in Southern Idaho. Might be moving there. Would you recommend it? Thanks.

2. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Close to where? We are just on the Border(Wyoming side)

3. pennymac2003

pennymac2003 Member

We are looking at Mountain Home area.

4. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I think there are a few homesteaders there. I am not familiar with the area.

5. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

ICK. all that flat desert. Sorry I live an hour and a half from there and really do not like it. Desert is so hard to farm and I hate dust, lol. Of course that is just my feelings I am sure lots of folks do just fine there and if you do move there pm me I would love to meet a people from the forum. PAM

6. pennymac2003

pennymac2003 Member

Where is 1 and 1/2 hours from there that is prettier? Are we talking about Montana? I have thought about that too. I need to make up my mind before this place sells though.

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a 45 minute drive from Mountain Home -- up on the Camas Prairie. PM me if you like and I can tell you what I know :)

Mountain Home wouldn't be my first choice <g> but that could just be me! land is pretty reasonable there though. We have a house on 10 acres for sale up here if you don't mind winters! :)

Tracy

8. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Winters? You mean if you dislike summers!

We went to Mtn Home last summer to fish in the reservoir. It was 180 degrees and we got sunburned and dehydrated and headed back up into the cool mountains and fast as we could. I know down by the river is alot better looking country than Mtn Home itself. Bruneau and Hammett and some of those places look alright. Mtn Home? Nahh.

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

No, I meant winters in Camas County! Mountain Home sure is hot in the summer....we stay pretty darn cool up here!

Tracy

10. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm outside of Boise on a small acre and I would not be here if we did not own it. Totally overgrown now. M.H. area gets hotter than a skillet in the summer and colder than you would wanna be in the winter and the wind blows ALOT. Try the Camas area or around Glen's Ferry (small and still farm land.) Very nice places. Or go up towards The panhandle there are still a few places I am told up the where you can build without laws telling you what you can and can't live in.

11. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

I'm about as far east as you can get without being in Wyoming.

Think about water, it's dry here. Without irrigation water about the only thing you could grow is a small garden (using your well water). If you plan on a larger crop, look for a place with water rights.

I know it gets HOT over on the west side of the state, so if you don't like hot and dry, look in the mountains.

Panhandle is nice, my BIL lives in Sandpoint, it's green, and lush, with mild winters. But it's a long drive from Boise.

12. pennymac2003

pennymac2003 Member

Thanks a lot, guess I will pass on that area. I got a lot of good information. I want to buy the right place because this will be the final one. I hope to fix up and live on this one forever. Thanks.