Southdown can't get up

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Lisa in WA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Southdown who should be lambing at any time now. Her daughter just lambed today; a black ram and a white one. Anyway, twice now we've found the pregnant ewe on her back with her feet in the air, not able to get up. She is so big and round she can't roll over till we help. Is this normal? She didn't do this last year when she had only one lamb in her.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I wouldn't charactorize it as "normal" but its not unusual. It is something you'll have to watch out for being cast (stuck on its back) is deadly for sheep.

3. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa in N Idaho! I'm in N Idaho too! Depending on where you are, I'll help you roll her back over...Hope she lambs soon for you. Oh- what we go through! City folks just can't imagine...

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

As Ross says, it's not unusual to find big, heavy ewes cast, often on a slight incline or dip in the paddock. The problem can be exaberated if they are carrying too much wool. If she's not already on flat ground, move her to somewhere flat and keep an eye on her.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

And that is exactly why this forum is so good for us future farmers-- no matter what our age!!

:walk: I get top pick up my Starter ram the second week of May-- after graduation and hopefully just before starting a new job. :clap:

I can imagine, with me starting out with a sheep that looks an awful lot like a goat, that the Amish are gonna raise their eyebrows!!! But then, a small group of them have already asked that I be their "vet" I have really missed working with farm critters, and now, Fionally, I will have my ow. My Grandmother would be so happy...

Terry