Sources For Mason {Blue Orchard} Bees??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fonzie, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

I didn't quite know where to post this... but I am looking for a place where I can purchase Mason Bees. Specifically I am trying to find someone who has the Eastern subspecies of the bee that would do well in Chicagoland. Some say to try the Japanese Horn Faced bee but I don't think they are hardy enough for Chicago winters. Does somebody have any insight to where I might purchase some Mason {Blue Orchard} bees.

Thank You

Da Fonz

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

3. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Yes Darren I had that site bookmarked already. It has loads of great info but some of it is a little out dated. I was hoping to find sites for sellers of the Blue Orchard {Mason} Bee, but that is easier said than done if you want the Orchard {Mason} bee thats adapted to the Eastern U.S. As it turns out the Japanese Horn Faced Bee may be more hardier than I thought.I talked to a man who left his JHF bees outside ALL Winter with a 3 week period of below 0 F temps and he still had a 70% survival rate in the Spring.

Da Fonz

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

We ordered some years ago. I don't think they were in sync with the bloom in this area and died. I have a couple of blocks of wood with the correct size holes drilled in them. Something still lays eggs in the cells each year. They aren't orchard bees though

5. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

Fonzie..I've recently become fascinated by these little guys, tho have not tried yet. I did an extensive search for buying, and found them hard to find. Not sure if these meet your needs with subspecies, but here are two other sites that sell Mason (Blue Orchard) bees, if you don't already have the links:

http://www.knoxcellars.com/
    http://www.pollination.com/bluosupplies.cfm

Dee

6. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

After much thought, I guess I'm going to try a shipment the Japanese Horn Faced Bee and a shipment of the Blue Orchard Bee. I'm going to set out the appropriate nesting blocks for both types and hopefully one or the other species will form a colony in my backyard...time will tell.