Sources for food grade diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a relatively inexpensive source for food-grade diatomaceous earth? Is it the same stuff that brewers use when they filter beer? I bought some but then it looked suspiciously like silica on the package label so I gave it to a friend for their garden. What do I look for on the label?

2. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I hope you get some good replies, I want to know too.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

DE is the "shells" of Diatoms which are microscopic organisms. These shells are composed mostly of silica, which explains why they looked like silica. Maybe you can gt it back LOL

4. Debi

Debi Active Member

I got my last order of diamateous earth from Hoegger's goat supply. They've got a great catalog. Their # is 800-221-4628 and online at www.thegoatstore.com. I've never looked at their online catalog though.

I also get my kelp from them.

Debi
    kaufman TX

5. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

We went to our feed and lumber store and had them order some for us. I guess we started a trend, because now they carry it regularly. :rolleyes: We get a 50# bag for $10-$12 (can't remember exactly). We've used two different brands, from what the bag says they're exactly the same, but one was gray in color, and another was white. We feed it to our goats, and they preferred the white DE hands down. :shrug: I'd check with local feed stores, perhaps even a lawn and garden center, I would guess it to be cheaper that way.

6. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

From what I have been told the one that is gray in color is not food grade and should not be used. Be careful when getting DE and make sure it says food grade.

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Foys pigeon supply