Source of Rabbit Poo?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jillianjiggs, Feb 3, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

My cousin was housesitting last summer and let me have the poo from her rabbits and the poo from the people she was housesitting for. I'm very impressed with how it held up in the garden as a fertilizer, mulch, and cat scarer-offer. I'm looking for a source of poo in the Sacramento/Northern California area. I'll buy it if there is a source, but I'm also willing to scoop and haul if it's free. If any of you live up here or have friends up here and need your barns cleaned out, let me know. (horse, cow, or chicken poo would work too0

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

poo from the people she was housesitting for.

You really shouldn't use human feces on your garden :haha: :D

3. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Heh...They run the rabbit group for the 4h club there, so it was all bunny poo. Smells slightly better than human poo. :)

4. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Jillian,

What I've done is watch the newspaper classifieds for offers of (usually) horse exhaust. I have a whole list of people with phone numbers so when I need some new exhaust for the garden I start dialing. Usually you can quickly identify sources for various "qualities" of compostables. For example I have sources for "barn litter" which includes a LOT of straw. Other sources provide the straight poop in the form of horse exhaust. Another source cleans out her barn once a year and sheep exhaust is available.

Another avenue to consider is rabbit breeders. There used to be a breeder near UC, Davis that grew large piles of bunny poo, but that was many years ago so now???? Try yellow pages for bunny breeders in your area. Also, check your local (nearest) fairgrounds. Most offer lots of horse exhaust + straw for the hauling. I have a BIG trailer and can haul many yards at a time. And for that matter, check into ARS (Animal Resource Services) at the UC, Davis campus...I have no idea what they do with all they produce. Their offices are located on the south side of the freeway and are not hard to find.

Actually, the classifieds have been a great source, just watch often and make a list. Works for me.

bearkiller

5. Did you move back to california? We clean the goat barn the end of march begenning of april its a mix of rabbit from under cages and goat pellets with straw and hay mixed in. Your welcome to drive up and get some. We are by Yosimite so its a nice drive but from sac its about two hours.

6. Ok dont know why it didnt say who I was but the above is me kathy h.

7. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

seems to me that the source of rabbit would be quite obvious

8. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

It's a bit far but you could come and clean my barn! :haha: Actually I have many master gardener friends that take any "extra" I have. Try to find rabbit people usually they will have more then enough!
    Denise