Source for better quality clothespins?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Apr 18, 2006.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I just put up laundry to dry and got stiff gust of wind and now most of clothes are in trees, on ground, etc..

These China made clothespins dont have much of a spring, but are all I can find anymore locally and they arent that easy to find. Apparently few people use clotheslines.

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

make two "T" post from 1.5 inch sch 40 pipe, so that the tee is 8.5 feet tall and about 4 feet wide. drill through the tops of the t so that galvanized wire may be passed thought the holes for the line. weld a scrap of metal to the upright about one foot from the bottom. ( this is to keep the post from twisting in the concrete set). set the tee about 2.5 to 3 feet deep in a dug hole and fill with concrete. let set for about a week before using. should last about 50 to 75 years. oh yeah, plug the ends of the t if you don't want to do battle with wasp.

3. HermitJohn

Ummm, clothespins are those little 3 inch long wooden clamps, you know two flat bits of wood held together with a wire spring. You put your clothes on clothesline and then put couple of these little wooden clamps to hold the clothes to the line. Dont think 8.5ft lengths of shedule 40 pipe would be a good substitute with or without the concrete.

4. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't found good quality spring action clothespins, but I bought old fashioned wood clothes pins from Lehman's and they've held up well.

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I wish I could help you but I'm having the same trouble. The spring ones come apart all the time and the straight ones break. I bought some plastic ones but they don't grip tight enough to keep the clothes on the line in the wind Sigh!
    I'll have to look up the Lehman's ones like Lisa recommended

6. HermitJohn

I havent seen the old style one piece ones in years, will look at Lemans. These China ones arent horrible, just need a stronger spring. I mean I gave $1 for pkg of 50. I'd gladly give $2 or $3 if they made a heavy duty version with strong spring.

7. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

Try your local hardware store. Ours handles all sorts of things like canning equipment and kerosene lamps. I bought USA made clothespins about 3 years ago and still have most of them.(Mine stay on the line all year because I am lazy and tend to get run over with the lawnmower occasionally). I think they were $2.50 for 100 of them.

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I was at a thrift store lat year, and the guy in front of me bought a big bag of old USA cloths pins boy was I sad. I hate the china ones.

9. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

I love my clothes line.
    I agree the quality of cloths pins from china is terrible.

Will check out Lehmans too.

10. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since I bought some heavy USA ones too, but they were sold at a local modern-type general store, so hopefully they are still out there. I would also check the hardware stores. It's worth the look.

11. HermitJohn

No local hardware around here anymore, just Lowes, Home Depot, Meeks, Sutherlands, TSC, etc. Closest we had to local hardware was a regional chain called Westlake. Went to look for glass couple years ago and store was empty, closed down. I had to go to Van Buran where there is local lumber yard / hardware called Yeagers. Home Depot said they didnt cut glass anymore. Lowes was letting their stock of glass dwindle so they probably getting out of buisiness of cutting glass. They didnt keep glass stock replenished so only had few BIG pieces, they would cut it but wanted the BIG price for the BIG piece that they cut from, not the little piece I needed. Yeagers didnt even have to cut, piece I needed was a stock size for them. Guess who is more apt to get repeat buisiness? Alas Van Buran is out of way for me.

12. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I found the one piece kind at Dollar General. I also bought some plastic smaller ones that are holding up very well, think I got those there too. My favorites right now are large plastic ones that I got at a local hardware store. They even stay tight on jeans and comforters, very nice! I've pretty much decided not to buy the wooden spring kind ever again, they fall apart on first pinning attempt far too often and life is too short to keep putting clothespins back together.

hollym

13. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

14. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

the dollar store in Munfordville carries wooden clothespins made in Germany. At least they did last summer when I bought them. they hold anything, including jeans. You got no Dollar Store near you?

15. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

I bought wooden ones at the Dollar General and they were made very cheap and won't hold cloths on the line very well. But, I did buy some later at Wal-Mart and they work great! "Almost" like the ones we had when I was a girl. At least they hold up to the strong prairie winds we've been having here in Oklahoma!

16. HermitJohn

Got ones I am using now at Dollar General. We have Dollar General and there is a Family Dollar at Fayetteville. I've be mighty surprised it they had German clothespins.

17. HermitJohn

Ok, there are dozen variations of clothespins shown on your link and none have a truly useful description. Are you recommending one listed there or just showing me the best result of a google search?

18. HermitJohn